Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Yahoo: [Microsoft changes Windows license terms]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:01:41 -0400

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:54:47 -0700
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Bob Hinden <hinden () iprg nokia com>
Subject: Yahoo: [Microsoft changes Windows license terms]

Wednesday July 11 04:00 PM EDT

Microsoft changes Windows license terms

By Joe Wilcox CNET.com

Microsoft on Wednesday changed the licensing terms it imposes on PC
manufacturers to install its Windows operating system, responding to a
recent ruling in its antitrust case.

In a dramatic shift, Microsoft will allow PC makers to remove Internet
Explorer icons and entries from the Start Menu, as well as provide the
ability to remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP. The company also will
extend this to Windows 98, Window Me, and Windows 2000.

"We did this to address some of the specific antitrust violations found by
the Court of Appeals," said Microsoft spokesman Jim Cullinan. "We are
going to provide OEMS (original equipment manufacturers) greater
flexibility with Windows. We are making these changes now to make sure
Windows XP ships on time, and we minimize any disruption to the high-tech
industry."

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010711/tc/microsoft_changes_windows_license_terms_1.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/