Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Taxing satellites

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:43:26 -0400

From: Richard_Jarvis () cch com
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:30:29 -0500
Subject: Taxing satellites

Since I specialize in state and local taxation, I would like to point out that
the taxing of satellite property is not really a new idea. Just at the local
level for property tax purposes it might be a little novel. For state
income tax
purposes, it is common to calculate the value of satellites and how often they
are used to either uplink or downlink to a particular state as a way of
determining how much of the income from the bird should be taxed in the
state in
question. It is pretty complicated and quite a mess to sort out.

For property tax purposes, it is true that aircraft and other mobile property
are taxed. Airlines often pay property taxes in counties that have major
airports based on some sort of proportional use calculation. States try to
determine the number of miles flown over the state in making their
calculations
for income tax and sometimes even sales tax purposes. I'm sure Hughes is quite
concerned given the value of the satellites in question and I'm sure that some
smart assessor in LA has found a way to possibly solve many of the county's
budget problems if this flies (no pun intended).

Richard Jarvis
Managing Editor
CCH INCORPORATED

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/