Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "Joe Sims" ICANN replies to Politech post about House bill and .kids

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:56:08 -0400

Subject: Re: FC: U.S. House bill would force ICANN to approve .kids domain
To: declan () well com
From: "Joe Sims" <jsims () JonesDay com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:55:25 -0400

Declan, I'm surprised that a Washington expert like you would fall into the
(usually non-US) trap of thinking that two members of Congress equate to
the US Government.  I have no idea what the sponsors of this legislation
actually have in mind, or whether they think it could possibly be effective
if passed, but whatever their personal views, assuming that they represent
a majority of the Congress or (an even greater leap of logic) the views of
the Bush Administration seems quite a leap.  If and when this legislation
is ever seriously considered, and people actually have to state official
views on it, will be time enough to wonder about whether and how it could
be effective if it recieved majority support in the House, and there was
companion legislation in the Senate, and a conference committee came up
with a compromise that got majority support in both houses, and the
President signed the legislation.  As this little summary points out, that
is a very long and windy road indeed.  In the meantime, this bill should be
considered what it is -- one of hundreds of bills introduced in every
Congress for any number of reasons which may or may not ever go beyond
where it is right now.  If this is what you view as "government
regulation," I can live with it.  You are welcome to post this if you like.

Joe Sims
Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
51 Louisiana Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20001