Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Comms recovery seen over next quarter or two

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:18:18 -0400

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:03:09 -0700
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () OLTECO com>
Subject: Re: IP: Comms recovery seen over next quarter or two
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com

In the short term, this year will certainly see a decline in the overall
optical networking gear market, he said, with total worldwide revenues
likely in the $23.4 billion range, down from almost $29 billion last
year. Smith said this year's drop puts the market onto a more realistic
path, noting that at the height of last year's euphoria, some analysts
were forecasting that the optical networking market could reach $80
billion by 2004. "That is a big chunk of the entire world's GDP, and
rational people have to question that," he said.

        Rational people would question statements such as the above ...
        One wonders which world Smith is living in? As a comparative,
        California's current annual state BUDGET is $103 billion.
        California's year 2000 GDP has been reported as $1.33 TRILLION
        making California now the worlds fifth largest economy...

        The World Bank's world GDP for 1999 was reported as $29 TRILLION.
        For 1999:
        US GDP was $8.4 trillion,
        Japan, $4.1 trillion,
        Germany, $2.1 trillion,
        France and UK, $1.4 trillion each,
        and Italy, $1.1 trillion.
        China's GDP was almost $1 trillion,
        Brazil, $743 billion,
        Spain, $552 billion.
        India's GDP, $442 billion,
        Mexico's, $429 billion.
        California's GDP was $1.2 trillion in 1999.

        [...snip...]

David Rickey, president and chief executive of Applied Micro Circuits
Corp., is even more optimistic than his peers. "We think we've hit the
bottom," he said. Judging from the pace at which his backlog grew last
year, and then shrank this year due to cancellations, he thinks the
worst is over. "Our backlog is now close to zero, and we are seeing a
lot less tendency toward cancellations, because there is nothing left to
cancel. There is nowhere to go but up, but it sure is a bummer about the
$1 billion in lost orders."
        The above implies that orders and production are in balance, not
        that there are no orders...

        Perhaps AMCC's Rickey doesn't want to face the possibility that
        there might be nowhere else to go except out of business?

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/