Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Comms recovery seen over next quarter or two

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:13:22 -0400

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:31:59 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

I suspect they are still being optimisitc. What will change to cause a
large re-uptake of comm equipment buying (other than going back to pre y2k
enterprise purchase rate)? There are no more competetive carriers left.
The one place there is a temnpoary glut is in the inter-city/inter-region
fiber as companies like Level 3, Qwest, Williams, Global Crossing, have
now each completed 18k - 33k miles of fiber build and will not need to buy
much more equipment for a while.

The Competetive Local Exchange carriers have been killed off by a
combination of the ILECs maintaining absolute control of the copper
infrastructure and the wireless companies killed off by a combination of
their own greed/stupidity/investor fickleness/technological mischoices and
prematurity.

The ILECs are not going to aggressively build out new high bandwidth local
services and we can expect the cable modem business (really the CATV
business with a side cable modem business) to be focused on gouging the
couch potatos and not really investing in buildouts to upgrade their last
mile infrastructure.

So without the last mile gap being filled, we will continue to be in a
Telecom Dark Ages led by feudal ILEC lords and their supporters in the
current administration...

--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.