Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: No talent shortage in U.S. (7-29-2001) -- letters to the SJMN today

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:30:34 -0400

"I am not shocked by the content of the Mercury News' recent article
``Tech Talent Alarm Sounded'' (July 22). However, I am shocked that
Congress and much of the media are accepting the pro-immigration lobby
``party line'' without question.

The cold, hard truth is this: Many U.S. companies have outsourced their
talent-recruitment to third parties who refuse to hire qualified U.S.
scientists, programmers and engineers because they are perceived to cost
more than imported H1-B replacements.

There is actually a huge surplus of high-tech brains in America, but we
have zero social capital. That is why we can be discriminated against with
impunity. I personally spent seven years in poverty while looking for
high-tech employment. How did I escape? By removing my Caltech master's
degree and my six years of NASA experience from my application.

By pretending to be a mediocre worker instead of a genius, I was suddenly
offered work by the same companies that had refused to consider me before.

Yes, in the 21st century it has become necessary to lie on the résumé and
pretend to have lower qualifications in order to avoid being discriminated
against by the anti-genius, anti-U.S.-worker high-tech establishment.

Tom Nadeau
Dickson, Tenn.

Honesty is what's in short supply

Let's get something straight: There is no shortage of engineers, computer
programmers or scientists. I know this from personal experience, since it
took me over 15 months to get a single job offer after receiving my
bachelor's degree in electrical engineering (with a 3.59 GPA) in 1998.

I probably sent out 120 résumés to ads I saw in the newspaper and got
about seven interviews -- so how can anyone in his or her right mind claim
that there is a shortage of engineers?

The only ``shortage'' in the high-tech industry is that of honesty.

Randle C. Sink
Brea:

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/