Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: FBI gets cash to spend on anti-encryption research

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:05:30 -0400

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:13:06 -0400
From: Brent Hunsaker <brent.hunsaker () usa alcatel com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: FBI gets cash to spend on anti-encryption research

David,
The first bullet is discussing code breaking. It will go to the NSA (which is
the only agency that can purchase encryption/decryption/code-breaking devices
for the US government) for the technology they need to break the encryption
coding used on the internet. My guess is that they are finding code that they
cannot break. Possibly hard encrypted messages. Industrial espionage has been
wide spread in the US since the end of the cold war. The internet is becoming
the best transmission medium available.

Just another thought, there are portions of the telecomm system where the
telecomm company encrypts blocks or trunks of telephony and data. This has
been
done for the US govenment for decades. I would expect that other countries are
doing the same. This is going beyond PGP and the little guy or gal. When
industrial spys are communicating with each other within the borders of
the USA
the only agency that can monitor is the FBI.

For the second bullet my guess is for the next generation of monitoring
system.
$7M will bring them up to a level to start policing the internet just a little
bit better. The new generation of telecomm equipement is beyond the technology
they have. The SONET rings in the field are now being upgraded to OC-192
rates.
The technology we are deploying into the field closer to the home and through
out the system is out stripping their current monitoring technologies. When we
start deploying Fiber-to-the-User there will no longer be a wire to tap into.
At that time phone channels will be caried by ATM cells or IP.

If they do not upgrade, they will lose what access they have now.  In the
scifi
movies where the police officer has to break into the fiber trunk to monitor,
decrypt and record communications has become reality.

Brent Hunsaker

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/