Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Respected British Scientist Resigns from US-Based Conference-Planning Committee: EFFector 14.15: Uproar Around the World over Sklayrov Arrest; More!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:01:14 -0400

Respected British Scientist Resigns from US-Based Conference-Planning
Committee

  Citing Fear of Prosecution under DMCA

   UK scientist & programmer Alan Cox, a key member of the USENIX Annual
   Linux Showcase (ALS) planning committee, has resigned in the wake of
   the arrest of DEFCON presenter Dmitry Sklyarov and legal threats
   against USENIX presenter Prof. Edward Felten & colleagues, under the
   questionably-constitutional US "Digital Millennium Copyright Act"
   (DMCA). Cox sent USENIX the following open letter of resignation:

     I hereby tender my resignation to the USENIX ALS committee.

     With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it
     is not safe for non-US software engineers to visit the United
     States. While he was undoubtedly chosen for political reasons as a
     Russian it is a good example for the US public that the risk
     extends arbitarily further.

     USENIX by its choice of a US location is encouraging other
     programmers, many from Eastern European states hated by the US
     government, to take the same risks. That is something I cannot
     morally be part of. Who will be the next conference speaker slammed
     into a US jail for years for committing no crime? Are USENIX
     prepared to take the chance it will be their speakers?

     Until the DMCA mess is resolved I would urge all non-US citizens to
     boycott conferences in the USA and all US conference bodies to hold
     their conferences elsehere.

     I appreciate that this problem is not of USENIX making, but it must
     be addressed.

     Alan Cox

   Similar resignations of non-US members of US conference- and other
   event-planning bodies are increasing, with many more expected. It is
   thus crystal clear that the DMCA is having one of the most palpable
   "chilling effects" in American history on perfectly legal expression.
   EFF remains very concerned about such "secondary effects" of this
   legislation, and is committed to seeing it undone.

   [Sources: Linux World News & NewsForge

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/