Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Network Solutions Blocking Transfers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:00:37 -0400

Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 09:47:40 -0400
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "K.Ellis" <guavaberry () earthlink net>
Subject: Network Solutions Blocking Transfers

Network Solutions Blocking Transfers

This is a post from one of my lists, dated Thursday 6/28... if anyone is
doing work with domain transfers, this sounds significant:
_____________________________________

Network Solutions Blocking Transfers

From: David Work

I may have missed this discussion, but I thought everyone might like to know
what Network Solutions is doing to discourage domain transfers.

In the good ol' days, you could request a transfer from NSI to another
registrar. The new registrar would make the request, the admin contact would
approve the request, and the "losing registrar" couldn't block the request
unless the domain owner owed money or the registration had expired.

According to NSI, they used to send confirmations to the admin contact too
(a needless redundancy, but harmless). If the confirmation was NOT responded
to, NSI considered the transfer request to be accepted, and would make the
transfer.

About 20 days ago, NSI changed the process. If the confirmation was not
responded to, NSI considered the transfer request NOT accepted, and would
let the transfer time out. That is, NSI blocked the transfer if *their*
confirmation was not responded to, regardless of the fact that the customer
is the one who requested the transfer in the first place and had already
confirmed the transfer with the "winning registrar".

In my case, I have never (ever) received an administrative contact Tracking
Number for domain transfers, so ... as of 20 days ago ... my domain
transfers started timing out. Without notice. Until today, not a single
support rep could tell me what was going on.

Its actually worse than that. According to the rep, NSI's transfer system
has been broken for weeks and transfers away from NSI aren't working very
well, if at all!

I believe that NSI hid this problem from its employees in an effort to put
the screws to domain transfers. After all, if the domain expires, then you
*have* to renew the domain registration with them. If you get confused,
impatient or irritated, you'll probably just keep your domain registered
with Network Solutions because its an incredible headache to deal with them
and their ludicrous and complicated procedures.

If this breakdown was a result of a problem with a new release/upgrade of
their software, as the customer service rep suggested, NSI should have done
what any competent provider would have done - roll back to the most recent
version that still worked. I have to believe that they *are* competent, so
the only conclusion is that the "problems" they've been having for the last
three weeks have been deliberate.

Here's the good news. According to the person I spoke with today, NSI will
not charge for domains that can't be transferred and have to be renewed
through them because their system is broken. All you have to do is call them
(get put on hold for an hour, but we all have headsets and other things to
do, right?) and request a credit. Time and effort will tell.

My registrar is Tucows. This is what they have to say about this recent
change: http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg00706.html

----end---

I can attest to this, having experienced this very problem in June.  I
began a domain transfer process, and NSI let the request time out despite
the hours I spent on the phone (on hold) and emails to their customer
support staff.  By the time the request timed out and we started the
procedure all over again, the domain expiration date was looming, and in an
attempt to protect my client's interest, I went ahead and paid the fee to
NSI.  I received a confirmation email from NSI that the transfer has been
approved, but I'm not convinced that the problem has been solved.

Has anyone on this list experienced the same problem?  How can we, as
(former) customers get restitution for this?  I never got to speak to a
human being at NSI about the issue.

Andrea Meyers <arm0110 () yahoo com>

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
Karen Ellis
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.cyberpg.com/

Diversity University Collaboratory Mailing List ISSN:1529-7861
http://www.cyberpg.com/diversity.html
Cul De Sac Online Curriculum Mailing List ISSN: 1531-7196
http://www.cyberpg.com/culdesac/Home_culdesac.html
Hot Site Awards New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty
Philadelphia Inquirer http://education.philly.com/

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/