Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Brazilian version of electronic voting machines

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:43:44 -0500

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:19:55 -0200
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Michael Stanton <michael () ic uff br>

Dave

The recent electoral tumult in the US led many observers here in Brazil to
point to the advantages of the all-electronic voting machines used in
Brazilian nationwide elections in October and November, 2000. I understand
that the machines htemselves may have been offered for US use as a
replacement for the different forms of voting automation in use in your
country. What is not often heard abroad, or even here in Brazil, are
serious criticisms of the technology being used. In view of the growing
interest in developing an alternative to the present systems, I thought
you and your readers might like to read what I wrote about the matter back
in November, in the immediate aftermath of the Florida voting. The text
was originally published in Portuguese, but recently a translation into
English has been posted on Rebecca Mercuri's electronic voting page, and
may be found at
http://www.notablesoftware.com/Press/electronic_voting_in_brasil.htm.

The article begins:

"The main news of last week was, without a doubt, the still undefined
result of the US presidential election, and the vote recount in the state
of Florida. It seems that it will still take some time for the final
result of this election to be defined, and this has already been the cause
for a number of leader-writers and columnists in the Brazilian press to
suggest to our neighbours to the North that they ought to adopt the same
electronic voting technology which was used in the Brazilian municipal
elections in October this year, an experience without parallel in the
world for an election on this scale."

Best wishes

Michael Stanton
Instituto de Computação