Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Fwd: the absence of the fantasy---er, Internet [Re: TOKYO ...3MBPS ADSL ...]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:25:32 -0500

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:56:36 -0800
From: Robert J Berger <rberger () ultradevices com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu, Brendan Kehoe <brendan () zen org>
Subject: Re: IP: Fwd: the absence of the fantasy---er, Internet [Re: TOKYO
 ...3MBPS ADSL ...]

My feeling (and where I'm putting my time as per my new startup,
UltraDevices) is that "fixed" broadband wireless technologies using
unlicensed spectrum (such as the 5.8Ghz UNII band) is a good  way to break
through this logjam.

There is no way the monoplies are going to accelerate deployment. If
anything, they are now slowing it down as they have crushed their only
competition (I.e. the Covads, Northpoints and other CLECs). From what I've
heard its as bad or worse in most other countries (maybe not Finland?)

I don't expect the cellular companies to do anything about this other than
hype 3G. I don't see how the cellular companies that do pursue a major 3G
buildout will survive. They have to first spend Billions of Dollars (or
Marks, or Francs) on purchasing Spectrum and then spend Billions more to
completely replace their existing networks. And then they still won't have
enough spectrum to deliver always on high usage broadband. In fact, I
expect we'll see the equivilant of the real estate bubble crashes but this
time the banks will be pulled down by the unrepayable debts from the
cellular carriers in a few years.

We are starting to see a grass roots explosion of 802.11 wireless ethernet
buildouts here in the US. This is both in the public "hot spot" markets
(i.e. wireless LANs in cafes, hotels, airports and other public spaces) as
well as thousands of ISPs taking 802.11b wireless LAN products and
twisting them into wireless MAN applications.

I believe this is part of the long term trend of IP over Ethernet over
various physical layers. We have seen it in the LAN, we are seeing it in
the fiber optic MAN and now in the wireless NANs (Neighborhood Area Networks).

My expectation is that this use of wireless ethernet will sneak up on the
monopoly carriers / ITU sponsored Cellular networks just the same way as
did Ehternet / Internet. It will allow us to once more undermine the
people who want to charge by the bit and by the second. It will allow us
to get many more people connected faster than just about any other
technique on the horizon....

--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.