Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: the absence of the fantasy---er, Internet [Re: TOKYO ... 3MBPS ADSL ...]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:04:44 -0500

 From an "old" interneter and IPer djf

From: Brendan Kehoe <brendan () zen org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:59:29 +0000
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: the absence of the fantasy---er, Internet [Re: IP: TOKYO ...
3MBPS ADSL ...]

And I am paying $276 per month for slow ISDN service  in rural Pennsylvania

Your comment started a whole spiral of thought for me, landing somewhere
between the vast lands of pure irony and strong disappointment.

In Ireland, a place that the world is supposed to see as a ``technical mecca''
for Europe, ISDN service is being hailed by the [still a monopoly in practice]
major phone company here as their ``hi-speed Internet'' connectivity.
Hi-speed == 128Kb dual-channel capability, but at the expense of making two
outgoing calls instead of one.  Oh by the way, you get charged by the minute
on each of the two calls.  Needless to say, this can run the bill up quite
high (including past the $276 you see in PA, for which I'm actually jealous).

My wife and I moved here in 1999 and were hearing seductive claims of cable
modems and ADSL launches---why, cable modems by the end of the year for sure!

The outcome?  Cable modems are still supposedly in beta-test in two or three
small places; the cable company has halted their deployment of the wiring and
switches and such to actually make that possible, and the company may get in
trouble with the government over not fulfilling their exclusive license.  (By
April, they're supposed to have it available to a few hundred thousand people.
We're not getting the impression that this is going to come to fruition on
time.)

Anyway, living in the San Francisco Bay Area of California, visiting friends
in Los Angeles, or dropping by a New York City coffee house, you'd think
everyone everywhere enjoys the incredible speed potential of the Internet
backbones.  (Nay, we can even fantasize at the IPv6/1Gb backbone testing of
the last few years.)

But the reality for what constitutes the significant majority of the world
population is one of continued delays and ongoing frustration.  People still
actively tell their browsers to stop downloading images because sites are
being glossed up more and more, usually with banner ads or massive Flash4
animation that aren't---the truth be told---really critical to offering the
information that's housed there.

A fun survey to run: of say 10 million web pages, how many actually offer the
`alt=foo' part of the HTML code to images?  Far too few, I can predict.

For Ireland and other European countries, the main hurdle is working to help
craft new business plans for the major telecommunications houses that thus far
don't see ways to offer new technology without significant investment.  The
counter-argument may be that such an investment isn't necessary.  Ah, but it
is absolutely required in order to do long-term growth in markets undergoing
startling change.

In our town in Ireland, there's one Internet cafe up the road.  It's busy most
times of the day, and in a few days will be converting to a 24-hour mode of
operations.  I stopped by there to ask if one can go in with a laptop and just
plug in---nope, they've got things running via Socks proxies and only allow
use of the systems that are hooked up to their billing system.  In the course
of the conversation, I asked if their main clientele consisted of tourists (I
saw a lot of screens used to access Hotmail---finally).

The answer was a shocked, ``No!  You'd think so, but most are people on lunch
break or coming in from home because six pounds an hour here on a
single-channel ISDN line WAY beats what they pay if they dial up on a modem at
home.''

Funny, the same goes for a friend of mine outside of Philadelphia.  And people
I regularly exchange mail with from areas of Colorado, Maine, London, Florida,
Virginia, Hawaii, and New York.  The list goes on.

Anyway, right now I'm working on a book about Europe's (soon to be more)
popular WAP technology, and the projects that are underway in the US for
similar offerings.  Thus all of the babble and why it was sparked.  I'd be
very interested in hearing from other sources regarding what ways the US
industries and the world's technology crafters (aka IETF and others) are
trying to defeat the still stunted growth in application of the technology for
most of its potential users.

All the best,

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/