Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Walled Garden? Too "good" a phrase

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:17:51 -0500

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

"Walled Garden" is being used as a phrase with increasing regularity,
especially in the wireless industry where subscribers are stuck with usually
paltry data offerings of their carriers.

But "garden" is too nice a term!  Gardens are supposed to be fertile and
growing.  I use "Walled Prison" and show a picture of a prison cell in my
presentations.  Someone else suggested "Wall Desert."

Alan

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing
** consulting, tutorials, seminars, publications **
E-Mail: reiter () wirelessinternet com
Phone: 1-301-951-0385
Fax: 1-630-982-1994
Web: http://www.wirelessinternet.com