Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A bad day at the computer room

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:48:35 -0500

It has been a bad day. First:

As sent to Mike Dell

The purchase of my 8100 series process was very pleasant till I started
the system under Windows ME and found myself locked into a version of IE 5
that was customized for Dell. While I have no big objection except in
principle and realize that the vast majority of your customers are happy
with such a browser, I wanted to use the plain old fashion IE5.5 without
all the Dells birthday acke and advertisement . After trying without
success,  to bypass your WALLED GARDEN I decided to install Netscape.
While  I managed to install netscape  periodically it seems to be stopped
from running till I reboot, however it worked . I tried every trick in my
book including downloading IE 5.5 from MS. No luck, The Explorer by MS
with the Dell home page keeps appearing and I have been unable to bypass
it. I called your support line and was told -- sorry but that is the way it is.

As a person who testified in the USG vs MS I was less than pleased to see
such tie ins -- lockins. I am sure I will eventually hack my way around it
all but I am not left with a warm feeling re Dell and most likely will go
to another vendor in the future.

Dave

Second:

I had the misfortune of crashing my WIndows 2000 system on my IBM Thinkpad
(which I love). While the boot said boot from your original CDROM and type
r on the firsat screne to try to recover , when I did that all I waqs
offered was to overwrite the whole hard disk and loose everything. Bah.

I bought a second hard disk, installed it and started the recovery process.
Well to put it very mildly it is a highly un thought out procedure leaving
a lot to the ingenuity of the user . If I had not had 35 years of painful
exposure to weird systems, I would have thrown the machine in the garbage
and gone back to paper.

We have to do better as a field. Why do I not wonder why PC sales are
slipping. They either treat the users as dumb couch potato consumers who
watch what they are told or expect world class debuggers.

Anyway still have a problem with the Dell although it is a fast system and
my Thinkpad is slowly being revived

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/