Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:21:14 -0500

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:42:26 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Larry Tesler <larry () nomodes com>
Subject: Re: IP: The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

By GINA KOLATA

computer science professor at Harvard says he has found a way to send
coded messages that cannot be deciphered, even by an all-powerful
adversary with unlimited computing power. And, he says, he can prove it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/20/science/20CODE.html

Dave,

I am no encryption expert. And all I know about Dr. Rabin's scheme is what
is in the Kolata article. But I think there is a weak assumption.

Before discussing the weak assumption, I'd like to point out that the
random number stream could not be generated by a seed-based algorithm. If
they were, whoever programmed the generator could replay the sequence at
will. Instead, the sequence would have to be based on nuclear decay or
something else that could not be predicted. That could be done.

The article suggested that the stream could be transmitted from an Earth
satellite, and thus be available to the sender, the receiver, and the
would-be code breaker. The claim is that to buy the time needed to decode
any message, the code breaker would have to have an unlimited quantity of
computer memory to store the ultra high speed data stream that the sender
and receiver simply use once and discard. I think not.

There are two cases.

Case 1. The code breaker intercepts the message in real time as it is
transmitted from sender to receiver.

For the code to be unbreakable, the data rate of the random number stream
would have to be so high that no storage mechanism available to the code
breaker could possibly buffer S+D seconds of the stream. S is the time it
takes for the code breaker to decode the traditionally encrypted Start
message that contains the agreement about which bits to select from the
random stream and use to form the key. D is the time it takes for the code
breaker's fast computer to catch up with the slower computers that the
sender and receiver of the encrypted message use. The higher the ratio of
the code breaker's computer's speed to the receiver's computer's speed,
the smaller are N and D. The code breaker with "unlimited computing power"
would have no problem at all.

Case 2. The code breaker obtains the message some time after it is sent.

The code breaker, a government agency, could use outer space as a vast
delay line. The agency could position a few permanent relay stations
around the orbit of Saturn, about 1 light-hour from the Sun. These
stations would form a delay line about 6 hours in length. If they were
capable of relaying 1500 simultaneous data streams, they could use space
to store a full year's data stream. With at most a few hours' notice, the
agency could access the stream that originated at any time within the past
year.

A similar ring in the orbit of Neptune (4 light-hours from the Sun) could
store all data streams that originated between one and five years ago.

For longer-term storage, space probes could be sent out of the solar
system in several different directions, forming an ever-growing ring. If
these probes were ion-propelled and accelerated as they receded from
Earth, the storage capacity of the ring they formed would grow more than
linearly with time.

I admit that deploying a bevy of distant satellites would be expensive,
and that they would have to communicate at 1500 times the speed of the
postulated high-speed transmitter in Earth orbit. Error correction and
other issues would create complications. But I think the Gedanken
experiment uncovers a weakness in one assumption of Dr. Rabin's scheme, if
I understand the scheme correctly. There likely are cheaper and more
practical ways to exploit the weakness.

Larry Tesler

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/