Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Invest your pesos with care

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:36:34 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Invest your pesos with care
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:27:08 -0500
From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>

[Followup to the pesos note -- for IP if you think of value]

Useful note on the Latin American e-Commerce Summit.  As you know,
ACM SIGCOMM is also getting experience in Latin America, on the research
side.  We're hosting a workshop on data communications research in
Latin America this spring (http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm-la/index.html).

We're finding it an exciting process -- there's tremendous enthusiasm from
the research community in Latin America and from the government (our
keynote speaker is Jose Maria Figueres, the former president of Costa Rica
and now chair of the UN Information and Communication Technologies Advisory
Group; the Costa Rican Ministry of Information is a co-sponsor) and
corporate world (Cisco has been generous; other companies with a Latin
American presence are expressing interest in co-sponsorship).

At the same time there are challenges -- most notably the shortage of
money for researchers.  We're seeing talented professors who lack the money
to get themselves to the workshop, much less their graduate students.
Another interesting experience was that we decided to make the conference
bi-lingual: we accepted papers in either Spanish or English, and arranged
to translate each paper, so there's a version in Spanish and English.
One odd side effect is we've caused ACM to have to reprogram the ACM
Digital Library to support the Spanish character set for titles.

Craig Partridge
Chair ACM SIGCOMM

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/