Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Oslo Accords Were a Trojan Horse -- As usual read with a questioning mind

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:45:03 -0500

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:23:08 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

If you decide to share this, and I do think it is important enough to share, please do not include my name and email address. Thanks.

I received the comments and article below from someone who is a retired department chair from a major DC area university.

------
 I am sending you the attached document because it helped me, for the first
 time, to understand fully why Arafat said "no" at Camp David.  So many of us
 had assumed that the PLO was prepared to settle for a Palestinian State on
 the West Bank and Gaza and were surprised that Arafat was not prepared to
 make a deal that gave him more than 90% of what he wanted as "final status,"
 including a significant portion of Jerusalem.

 Faysal Husseiny had the reputation of being a PLO moderate, someone who
 opposed Hamas violence and looked for a peaceful settlement.  Nabil Shaath,
 who has recently made similar statements, has been viewed in the same light.
If we examine Husseiny's statement and then consider the basic reason for the breakdown of talks at Camp David, namely Arafat's insistence on the "right of
 return" and his lack of interest in Bill Clinton's offer of a financial
 settlement with the descendants of the refugees, it all comes together now.
 Barak did not offer more than 90%.  He offered little more than 20%, because
Arafat and his PLO want it all, from the river to the sea, as Faysal Husseiny
 explained, and they want to assert the "right of return" to get it all back.

The difference between Hamas and the PLO is still significant: Hamas wants to
 kill the Jews or push them into the sea.  The PLO wants to make peace with
 Israel.  It is prepared to let the Jews live.  But any peace settlement that
maintains the State of Israel is a temporary settlement only. The long-range goal is to disestablish the Jewish State by attaining an Arab majority there.
  An effort would be made to attain that majority peacefully, but that
 requires the resettlement of large numbers of Palestinians in Israel.  Barak
was willing to take a relatively small number, but that does not meet the PLO
 requirements.  To attain their goal in the not-to-distant future, they want
 the return of large numbers.  That is why there was no deal.

What all of this makes clear is that in Arafat's and the PLO's plans there is
 no room long-term for the existence of the State of Israel.  We are back to
 Square 1, the search for authentic spokespersons for the Palestinians who
would be willing to enter into a settlement that accepts the existence of the
 State of Israel.