Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: BROADBAND WON'T HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:28:57 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: Posted here with the permission of the author. Peter used to be the CTO of British Telecom (BT), so he knows what he's talking about! DLH]

BROADBAND WON'T HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT *)
Peter Cochrane
ConceptLabs CA
<mailto:petercochrane () conceptlabs net>

*) Published as " Life begins at 100 Mbps !" in issue 17 (October 2001) of
Billing (www.billing.co.uk  PBI Media.UK)

I can remember a time when paying for computing time by the minute and data
storage by the KiloByte was the norm.  When downloading and printing meant
taking a lunch break.  When batch computing meant waiting a day or a night
to see if a program had compiled and run.   I can also remember when
teletypes at 110 Baud were replaced by VDUs at 300, 600, 1200, and then 2400
Baud.  When only rich people had a telephone in their home, mobile phones
had not been invented, and all telecoms and networking was expensive.

So what happened? Integrated circuits and fiber optics changed everything as
processing power, storage and data transmission accelerated in speed and
density whilst costs plummeted.  We have seen an exponential (doubling every
year or so) growth in capability of everything IT with exponentially falling
costs, and relatively speaking our technology now costs nothing.  I can now
afford a 100Mbit/s LAN, and 11Mbit/s Wireless LAN in my home.  Every
computer has a 1GHz clock and over 500MByte of RAM, and a 240GByte server
takes care of all storage and back up.   And until recently my WWW access
was a 2Mbit/s radio link into BT Laboratories. This might all seem
extravagant, but to my youngest son it all sucks.  And he is right; it is
too slow and wholly inadequate for a multi-media world.  Believe me, life
begins at 100Mbit/s and up when we perceive response times to be less than a
second.

When I retired from BT so did my 2Mbit/s radio link and I returned to an
insane world of no bandwidth.   My WWW access is now a 56Kbit/s dial up
modem delivering a puny 48Kbit/s.  Unfortunately I live in a high-net-worth
community on the periphery of town, which perversely means none of us can
have ISDN, ADSL or a cable modem.  We are on the end of ancient telephone
cables unable to support wideband access, and live in an information ghetto
of people who would be only too pleased to pay for speedy access.  I'd feel
happier if my situation was the exception, but it isn't, it is the rule.  No
one in the EU has wideband, and  <10% in the USA enjoy adequate facilities.
Across the planet the majority access the WWW through a dial up network of
old and limited technology.  To me it is a miracle that the WWW has taken
off and I see network limitations as a key factor in the recent demise of
the dotcoms.

What went wrong, and how are we going to get it fixed?  For sure the roll
out of fiber into the long-lines network was, and continues to be,
spectacular.  It has totally sidelined all satellite capacity and links
every continent with huge amounts of bandwidth.  As I recall, in the initial
phase there was never a business plan to totally fiber nations or the
planet.  It was a no-brainer, the cost per bit and operational advantages
were so great, individuals made decisions and corporations just rolled it
out.  Suddenly a network of copper with repeaters spaced every 2Km on land
and every 10Km under the sea seemed like the Stone Age.   Optical fiber
progressively spanned 10, 20, 30, 40, and then >100Km.  Networks in Europe
no longer required buried repeaters and the reliability of systems meant
fewer craft people and huge reductions in standby plant.  So dramatic was
this advance that Telco economics were transformed.  Instead of a near 50:50
split of capital and operational costs between local loop and long lines,
long lines fell well below 5%.  Optical fiber saw a 99% fall in network
electronics, the eradication of lightening damage, and cables totally
impervious to water ingress.  Fault and failure levels plummeted to
previously unimagined levels, and huge economies were realised as a result.

So why didn't Telcos roll fiber into the local loop?  Well, the story is a
bit like the Gulf War (they stopped right on the border, and made the
fundamental error of not completely vanquishing the enemy) and now we
suffer soda straw communication pipes as a result.  Across the planet dumb
decisions were made out of political necessity, individual and corporate
self interest, technical ignorance and financial ineptitude.  In 1986 fiber
direct to the home was demonstrated to be financially viable.  For the UK it
would have cost a mere $22Bn to fiber every home, which in comparison to the
$34Bn just wasted on 3G mobile licenses was a bargain.  For many countries
the optical fiber story goes something like this:

1) The managers ruling the local loop saw many of their colleagues in long
lines networks having to take early retirement, accept new assignments, and
move companies.

2) Managers and craft people could see fiber technology being rolled out by PhD's from laboratories, and they could not get an inside line, they couldn't, or didn't want to, get in on the act. They began to feel insecure and at
great risk.

3)      The financial people didn't care!  But they couldn't get consistent
numbers for their models.  Where was the advantage of fiber going to come
from?  They would argue that the advantage in long lines was now obvious,
but there are no repeaters in the local loop.  Worse, I suspect that the
waters were muddied by (1& 2), not in a conspiratorial way, more because
they didn't know.  But as a group there was not the imagination or courage
to create models that encompassed all the potential gains, which included a
reduction from thousands to tens of Central Office sites.

4)      And finally, there was the technical community who I feel have to
shoulder at least 50% of the responsibility.  On the fiber side the
researchers bulldozed ahead creating more and more technology and more and
more competing options for the local loop.  No one stopped to make it really
practical.  Worse, those researchers who had devoted their lives to copper,
and had failed to make the transition to fiber, failed to grasp the
magnitude of the possibilities.  They continued their expeditions into
copper and digital signal processing with wild claims that DSL could deliver
2, 6, 12, and perhaps 50Mbit/s using the existing copper cables.  What a
dream!  The bean counters could hardly believe it, milk past investments in
copper by attaching a modem on each end of a customers lime.  Game over!

So DSL became the end game, and fiber was pushed aside.   At a time when a
PC had a 6Mbit/s clock why would you need more speed in the local loop?  And
anyway, all this Moore's Law stuff will most like not happen anyway etc.  I
would have thought that they all have to be feeling pretty dumb now!  DSL is
a universal and monumental failure with far less reach, and far fewer bit/s
delivered than promised.  And of cable modems?  Well they have done a bit
better, but the penetration is poor, the service limited, with installation
and operation proving very expensive.

A long past UK Prime Minister, Harold McMillan, was famous for using the
expression: "well gentlemen, here we are".  He always looked at the
situation as was and disregarded prior events.  Bringing this up to date in
a PC world I think we have to say: "well folks, here we are".  We cannot go
back to correct the mistakes of the past, but we should use them as valuable
lessons in our forward thinking.  Just how are we going to get wideband out
to folks who are willing to pay, and have a dire need to communicate and
work at speed?

Let me first dismiss all forms of satellite technology, including
geo-stationary, low-earth-orbit, balloon and aircraft platforms as being an
insignificant prospect.  Yes they will provide a valuable asset in the
provision of service to far-flung, hard-to-access, geographically remote
locations, and mobile and clustered platforms.  But in the grand scheme of a
global wide-band future they really are going to be a very small %.
Satellites never amounted to more than 25% of all international
communications capacity, and today they are less than 1% and falling.  In
contrast, future generations of mobile phone networks, do I suspect have a
much bigger role to play and cannot be dismissed.   So I am going to
concentrate on the kernel problem, the local loop.  Here are some key
factors we now need on the table.

1) Telcos will never deliver wide-band communications. It is not in their
interests to do so; it isn't in their business minds or models.  They are
into call minutes and billing systems.  They are old, gray and don't get it,
and they don't intend getting it.

2)      The cable companies are slightly better, but have a broadcast mindset,
where wide-band is an add-on, a kluge, and not a primary business or
technology.

3) Both (1) and (2) have missed their opportunity, wasted time and money on
a vast scale, and are now going bust.  Five years ago they could have rolled
fiber into the local loop, they had the money and the people back then - now
they have neither.

4) The sheer numbers of people required to undertake the total provisioning
of a wholly fiber local loop are no longer available.  They have moved out
of the Telco and Cableco arenas, and into other areas of IT and retirement.

5)      There is technological confusion with the old world of IP over an oft
concatenation of PSTN, ISDN, Frame Relay, ATM, Sonet/SDH, and WDM systems,
up against a new Metro-LAN world of IP over DWDM.

So how are we going to advance?  I think we have been here before.   Back in
the 1940s USA TV companies couldn't find an economic means of providing
signals to outlying communities.  So people clubbed together to build towers
and antenna systems, and wired their houses to realize Community Antenna TV.
This was so successful that the expanded systems became the Cable systems of
today.

In a similar manner, youngsters now frustrated by the lack of bandwidth are
linking homes with CAT5 LAN wiring strewn across gardens.  Schools are
buying 802.11 wireless-LAN cards to create their own networks at a much
lower cost than building wiring schemes.  There is a message here for the
network companies, and a huge opportunity.  If they don't provide the
bandwidth demanded by rapidly advancing terminal technologies, people will
just set to and provide their own.  Hotels, schools, coffee shops and places
of work are starting to look like the phone boxes of the 21st Century.
People are gathering there to satisfy their craving for wide-bandwidth,
which isn't a 56Kbit/s or 2Mbit/s dribble, but orders of magnitude more.

In some countries >80% of the population is within 1Km of an optical fiber,
but they cannot gain access.  So here is a hybrid solution pulling together
multiple opportunities spanning fixed and mobile networks. Telecoms is on a
back foot with numerous operators in serious trouble.  After being
corporately raped of over $100Bn for 3G mobile licenses across the EU,
operators and markets suddenly realized that a further $100Bn of
infrastructure investment is needed, and $100Bn in technology and service
developments plus marketing and sales.  This dictates a minimum $1000 spend
by every EU handset owner assuming they all instantaneously abandon GSM and
convert to 3G overnight. The operators can't see a payback within 10 years,
and are finding it difficult to come up with business models that makes 3G
pay in.  In the UK, operators paid $34Bn for licenses in a market of around
45M users where 30,000 new base stations will be needed at a time when the
public is objecting to these eyesores.  So what can be done?  I see very few
options to save the current situation, but here is a possible subset;

1) Mobile operators could move to subsidize 3G by increasing the price of 2G handsets, call charges, whilst simultaneously reducing their Quality of
Service, and the number of services, ie we all get to pay much more for much
less.

2)      Governments could see the error of their ways and repay the 3G license
monies they raped from the industry; highly improbable!

3)      Operators could merge to share a single infrastructure build and
operation. My guess is that Europe can only afford 4 operators in total!

4) A partnership between fixed and mobile operators plus manufacturers could be incredibly beneficial.

5) Most lucrative of all would be the eradication of the local loop. At a
rough estimate an average Telco could displace 50% of operating costs and
60% of employees if it replaced all its wire-line plant by 3G handsets.  3G
offers wire-line voice quality, and higher aggregate data rates than
wire-line modems over a wider geographical area than DSL. Over 50% of all
Telco faults are in the local loop, with about half inflicted by their own
craft people, and the rest are more or less evenly split between water
ingress into cables and damage by other utilities. 3G would get rid of a
huge raft of problems and place the onus for local loop operations on the
customer.  Moreover, the majority of the existing line plant is optical
fiber out to locations ideal for 3G mini-base stations.

 So far this is the only scenario where everybody wins!

At this point the Telcos could mine the copper and lead blocking duct
tracts, recover money on the sale, and then lease the empty space to new
companies moving into the MetroLAN space.

The reality is that there is not a single technology that can do telephones,
CATV and data.  It will be some time before that prospect becomes a reality
and this solution gives natural stepping-stones.  On entry into the last
mile the new companies have the choice of installing fiber direct into home
and office, or much more attractive, erecting wireless access points in the
street.  Communities of 802.11 WirelessLAN users already abound across
Europe, and they are building fast in the USA. As a solution it is almost
perfect!  Think about it, the customer purchases, installs and maintains
all their own equipment.  A very large chunk of the cost base is moved out
of the operators hands and is gratefully received by the end customer.
Will it work?  Will it be acceptable?  Ask the many who do this already in
hotels, airports and Costa Coffee houses across the planet. As far as I can
see it is a done deal.

As there is no new money available and customers are highly unlikely to
throw more at the 3G for nothing, an increased cash flow can only come from
displacing existing market.  So to a vital question; who has all the money
and how can they be displaced?  Well how about the music, movie and computer
game industries?  Looking around most homes there is ample evidence that
families spend substantial amounts in these sectors.  They are a natural for
the non-physical distribution of bits - which can be written direct to disc
of any form or location: home, office, car, handbag, pocket or belt.  So it
is somewhat ironic to see the American music industry hell bent on the
destruction of Napster and its variants at a time when CD sales increased by
15% last year.  This type of service, and derivatives, is probably the only
one big enough to support a community of 3G users.  With all the digital TV
network news and programs dying on their feet, plus our apparent dislike of
the small screen, there are not a lot of options open to service providers
for advertising supported services.

On the upside I don't think anyone or any industry will be able to stop the
Napster variants and the public downloading of music, it may even become
commercialized in due course, with a natural progression to high quality
pics, and movies.  But all of this is fundamentally dependent on freely
available bandwidth anytime, anywhere - a natural fit for 3G.  The other
essential feature is that music is now a mobile phenomenon; people wear it,
ride it, have it everywhere.

Trying to be objective in IT markets is extremely difficult given the rate
of progress.  For sure, we can accurately predict the availabilities and
capabilities of new technologies, but we have no chance of predicting what
people will buy when.  It doesn't take a lot to switch off the public, but
it is also easy to identify and address their frustrations. Everywhere I
travel I see increasing numbers of people engaging in Peer-to-Peer
networking. People are using Infra-Red Ports, Wire-LAN, and Wireless-LAN
connections to create instantaneous networks PDA, Lap-Top-to-Lap-Top,.  What
has prompted this new activity?  I think the motivators are principally
twofold.  First, all of our devices have totally outgrown network
connectivity.  Compared to a 30Gbyte Hard Drive and a 1000MHz clock, a
56Kbit/s modem looks decidedly sick and is totally useless for the
downloading and swapping of even modest size files.

A cursory sweep of my own laptop revealed that 25% of all files are >0.5MB,
15% >1MB, 5% >10MB and 2% >100MByte. Most music and movie files are over
3Mbyte, whilst digital camera images are generally above 250KB. So what use
a 56Kbit/s modem, and who has the time to wait 20 minutes for a single
download?  Just 10 years ago none of this was true, the world was a bigger
and less rich place.  Today far more is available, and being created, with
no limits to the applications and need for more and more bandwidth.

So, how long before the network companies wake up and meet this obviously
growing demand?  I don't think they will. They are focused on exploiting
what they have installed already, and are happy to see >90% of net
connections via dial up modems.  And worse, their mounting debt's probably
means they can't even do it if they wanted too.  The only solution I can see
on the horizon is a combination of Peer-to-Peer and Ad-Hoc wireless
networking.

Despite all our advances with optical fibre and radio, the cheapest bit
transport solution still remains FrizbeeNet - the CD in an envelope.

In my future world I will be able to use a mobile phone/device to access
terminals and large screen displays I encounter.  It will double as an
electronic wallet, security device, and medical records repository.  I'll be
happy to use this as a mobile banking device and pay by the minute,
transaction or whatever.  But for wideband access I want to pay a single fee
for wideband access anywhere on the planet, static and or mobile.

Finally, there is one further mind set change required, network oerators
have to start wasting bandwidth, they have to look at dense coverage using
pico, micro and macro-cells.  A new phenomenon now sees a natural and
growing state of chaos.  When people cluster their actions become
co-ordinated.  The coffee break at a major international conference sees 300
mobile phone calls initiated within two minutes.  A freeway accident results
in 1000 calls initiated in 10 minutes.  Train and plane cancellations have a
similar impact.  The old fixed line telephone network had a peak to mean
traffic loading of 3 or 4.  Our mobile networks are now closer to 50, whilst
the Internet can exceed 1000.   With new generations of mobile device it is
likely to get far worse as the size of file gets bigger and transfer time
grow.  And a further aggravation will be the introduction of more things on
line than people.

There is no certainty in the world of networks and to satisfy a chaotic
future we will have to vastly over provide bandwidth.  The old ways of
grooming traffic to increase efficiency will only lead to more unusual,
unpredictable, and probably spectacular network failures.  No one would
choose to drive a Formula 1 racing car to work, it would be far too
unreliable because it is so optimised.  In contrast a Mercedes will go for
years without incident by virtue of its lack of optimisation.

In the same way SMS has become the dominant mobile mode in Europe, we can
anticipate even more surprises in networks of the future.  So network
designers and operators have no choice, we are going to need wideband ports
to the conference room, floor, building, and street.  The link to and
between our devices will increasingly be wireless, and our access seamless,
with optic fibre being the primary access conduit into the global network.
Of course there will be occasions when optical line of sight will find a
role, as will point to point wireless, but make no mistake, ubiquitous fibre
reaching out to individual nodes and users has to be the dominant mode if we
are go universally wideband.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/