Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on 'You've Got Mail,' More and More, and Mostly, It Is Junk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:21:04 -0500

Yes I agree once my temper has cooled down. I am flooded with spam and it hurts and much of it comes from over seas and is has forged From

Dave

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:14:47 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: 'You've Got Mail,' More and More, and Mostly, It Is
  Junk
Cc: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com

Dave,

My inbox is also overflowing with spam. Especially around holidays and on weekends, seem to I get more spam than personal email. The only time it let up was September 11 and 12 -- I guess even spammers had something better to do.

But "a law that requires a legal address" could, depending on how it's worded, ban anonymous remailers. And legislation may have little impact. Some research I did almost a year ago (http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41860,00.html) suggested a huge proportion of spam to the U.S. was coming from overseas. It'll take years -- maybe a decade -- to get a sufficient number of countries to agree for the measure to be effective. In the U.S. Congress, the Direct Marketing Association is likely to oppose all but the most narrow approach. And if the law were written broadly enough, it might be vulnerable to a First Amendment challenge.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be, but I think we'll have to rely more on technology than the law.

-Declan

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/