Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A Cybernaut Plans Software for Navigating TV

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 05:08:42 -0500

A Cybernaut Plans Software for Navigating TV

By JOHN SCHWARTZ

One of the online world's more persistent innovators is trying to make television as easy to use as the Internet.

The sentence is not backward. Carl Malamud, who has helped expand the cyberspace roles of institutions like Congress and the Patent and Trademark Office, argues that today's television listings make it a chore to find interesting programs. And he says that the computer technologies that help people navigate the information riches of the World Wide Web should be brought to bear on the tube.

<snip>

His advisers express admiration for Mr. Malamud's vision and tenacity. "Often, he succeeds at what I think his primary goal should be, which is to change the world," said Paul Vixie, the creator of Bind, one of the programs that underlies the Internet. "It's going to clear the field for real innovation to take place" in organizing myriad streams of information coming into people's lives, he said, adding that The public can only benefit.

He applauded Mr. Malamud's willingness to go up against Gemstar. "I don't like it when people do warfare with patents," Mr. Vixie said.

Another adviser to the company, the computer scientist David J. Farber, said that as were many people, he was frustrated with the limited indexing and program search abilities of today's electronic program guides. "I don't watch much TV, but I want to watch what I want to watch," he said.

"Marshall and Carl are both prone to try to shake things up if there's something they don't like," he said. "Carl and Marshall are just abrasive enough to pull it off."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/24/technology/ebusiness/24CARL.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/