Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Comment on telecom downturn

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:53:22 -0500

Dr Feng is right in the middle of the Richardson Tele-corridor and is VP Research at UT Dallas.

Dave

From: "Feng, Da" <fengd () utdallas edu>

Dave

The following should be self-evident.  I forwarded your message to the
community in the Telecom Corridor in the Dallas/Fort Worth region and
the following are some of the interesting comments.  You may want to
show your folks in your distribution list.

Da Hsuan

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Telecom Markets Growing Despite Recession, Report Says

Despite the current economic downturn, worldwide telecommunications
market revenue should reach $1.4 trillion in 2001, an 8 percent increase
from 2000 revenue, according to a new report from Gartner Dataquest.
This market will continue to grow in 2002, with Dataquest projecting
revenues of $1.5 trillion. The telecom services segment seems to be the
sector least susceptible to economic uncertainty, with the worldwide
telecom services market forecast to see its revenues surpass $ 1
trillion in 2001, a 13 percent increase from 2000. For more...

<http://article.ElectronicNews.com/UM/T.ASP?A5.11.1591.5.1820698782>

Da Hsuan,
This is positive news.  However, the report also suggests that the
infrastructure market will be down 4%.  Our business base is weighted on
the equipment side which is where we have seen a significant impact.  I
believe that the growing demand for data will bring us out but is not a
quick fix.
Thanks,

Da Hsuan:
The article is not a surprise. Why? In some markets where the number of
land line phones is low (Africa--2 lines per 100 inhabitants, Asia
--6.7, Mexico 9.6 [from ITU]), there is very strong demand and growth is
not a surprise. Wireless is an appealing entree.

What many don't realize is that a little over 2% of the fiber optic
cable in the ground in the USA is being utilized. This tremendous excess
capacity is probably one immediate cause of the downturn in our local
economy, but also an optimistic measure of growth to come!

While this may be a gross over simplification, I believe that you can
boil a large part of it down to Voice vs Data.

Voice services in general are much more profitable, and have kept a
solid demand and growth profile. Also, there has not been a large over
capacity build out in voice as there has been in long haul broadband
data services.  One area where we have taken a hit locally is in the
demand for wireless voice hardware. While the services side demand for
wireless voice is strong, there was over capacity on the equipment
(handset) side.  This will probably abate soon, with moderated growth
rates.  Most of the telecom business we have in North Texas has been
supporting the tremendous growth expected in data/broadband services.
Data is only a part of the total telecom market, and has had a very
difficult time forecasting demand, and providing high quality services
to it's customers (residential and small business). There was a build up
for an expected demand that did not materialize. This growth was fueled
not so much by profits from customer revenues as from the investment
side that was anticipating large growth and large returns. Not sure when
this will recover.

Basically, we have been strong in the niche markets that have taken the
largest downturns.

It doesn't jive with our region from what I've heard.  I've spoken with
executives at Verizon about their predictions for next year.  Verizon
has predicted a flat revenue model.  They anticipate lower sales, but
with decreased costs, they believe that their net profit will remain the
same as 2001.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/