Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on : Government questions over Windows XP security flaws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:20:30 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie () TransSys COM>

> The government's rare interest in the problems with Windows XP
> software,  which is expected to be widely adopted by consumers,
> illustrates U.S.  concerns about risks to the Internet.

I really wish that folks reporting these stories would not confuse
poorly implemented end-systems with Internet infrastructure.  Should
the end systems in question be attacked, hacked or otherwise disabled,
mostly the rest of us on the Internet probably won't care.

This is like worrying about the safety of the Interstate highway system
in the face of exploding Ford Pinto fuel tanks.  Yes, this is
a problem that needs to be worried about, but this isn't intrinsicly
an infrastructure risk.

If there are concerns about the general internet infrastructure, then
that's a fine thing to worry about.  The fact that Windows is enabling
end-users to get screwed is different issue, probably one that the
FTC should start getting worried about.

louie

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/