Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Problems and Promise for Personal Computers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:10:00 -0500

Problems and Promise for Personal Computers

December 16, 2001

By KENNETH N. GILPIN

The last 12 months have been horrible for the personal
computer industry.

It is bad enough that demand has slumped. Most
manufacturers are saddled with inventory and distribution
problems, as well as with sales of a product that keeps
falling in price.

Kimberly Alexy, an analyst at Prudential Securities who
follows the box makers, took some time last week to talk
about the industry and what ails it. Following are excerpts
from the conversation.

Q. Do we really need all the personal computer
manufacturers?

A. There are 20 to 30 players comfortably in the business,
and the top three have less than 35 percent of the market.

The market could use some consolidation. But there is no
reason one manufacturer should buy another. Instead, over
the last decade, selected vendors have withdrawn from the
business. Earlier this year, for example, Gateway just
stopped its overseas business.

Going forward, we will see more companies downsize or
rationalize their business, but won't outright exit the
business. I.B.M. (news/quote), for example, has been
selectively downsizing its operations, withdrawing from the
consumer personal computer business. They have not been
terribly aggressive.

Q. The founding families of Hewlett-Packard (news/quote)
aren't thrilled with the Compaq Computer (news/quote)
merger. Do you share their lack of enthusiasm?

A. A combination of Compaq and Hewlett- Packard doesn't
make any sense at all.

Hewlett-Packard has a great printer business. It would make
sense for them to either emphasize that business or do
things that build on it, or extend out into storage and
services. Those are the things Hewlett- Packard needs. With
Compaq, they are buying a huge personal computer platform.

Q. It seems the last thing we need is more computers. Is
this still a growth business?

A. Roughly speaking, 65 percent to 70 percent of the
personal computer market is commercial; the remaining 30
percent to 35 percent is consumer. Penetration rates in
this country are around 55 percent, and much lower than
that outside the United States.

There is a lot of room for new business growth in the
consumer market, less so in the commercial or business
market.

But the issue is not growth. The issue is how you make
money. Essentially, that comes down to business models.

Q. What business model works for personal computers?

A.
The issue is inventory. In a business where prices fall 25
percent to 50 percent a year, every week a product is
sitting on the shelves it is eroding into the vendor's
profit margin.

Dell, which is building a box fresh and shipping it out the
door to the customer, doesn't have inventory, and that is
why they win. Compaq and Hewlett-Packard are the flip side.
Both of those companies and most of the vendors have built
channels to retailers, like Circuit City. Dell doesn't have
a channel; they sell everything direct.

It sounds simple, but it is difficult to change business
models. To do it, a company like Compaq would have to start
from scratch and take three steps back to move forward. I
don't know that they can do it.

Q. Do you like any of the computer stocks??

A. We like
Dell Computer (news/quote), and have a buy recommendation
on the shares, and the stock is up more than 60 percent
this year. We have not been recommending Apple Computer
(news/quote), but the stock has had a very good year. But
they had a horrible year in 2000, and the stock sold down
to very low levels. Then you have Compaq Computer, whose
stock is down more than 35 percent, and Gateway Inc.
(news/quote), which has fallen by more than 50 percent.

Q. Years ago, Bill Gates said Microsoft (news/quote) would
never get into the hardware business. But the X-Box is
definitely hardware. Is it likely to be a viable
competitor?

A. I think the X-Box will be viable. It represents the
convergence between personal computing technology and
consumer electronics. Over time, in the consumer part of
the market, the lines between the two will blur more and
more.

Q. This is a $200 billion business that sells about 130
million machines each year. Even if the business model
isn't perfect, won't a recovery in demand help all of these
companies?

A. A lot of companies have deferred spending, so a pickup
in demand will help.

If spending comes back, corporations will upgrade their
machines. That will help Dell, because they do about 85
percent of their business with corporations. And it will
also help Compaq, because they are so exposed to the
commercial end. But it won't help Gateway, which is heavily
aimed at the consumer market. Ý

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/16/business/yourmoney/16INSI.html?ex=1009489820&ei=1&en=e79b3be90e276d8a
\
--
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not
always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes
of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission
from the copyright owner.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/