Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: China reactions

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:17:58 -0500

Requested anonymity

As is usual with anybody corresponding from China, please remove
attributions... :-(

On my most recent trip back, I had a chance to talk with some people
about the September bombing.  They refer to it as "nine one one".

Some time ago, somebody had made a prediction that 2001 would give
China "four happies".  The first three were

    - China is approved for the WTO
    - Beijing gets the 2008 Olympics
    - China qualifies for the (Soccer) World Cup

and many people belive that the fourth was

    - WTC bombed.

The saying quoted to me was "behind the WTC is a yellow ghost" referring
to Wang Wei, the pilot killed in the surveillence plane collision.

Wish I had better news...

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/