Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Ford Talks Up Bluetooth Car

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:55:03 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
cc: lauren () pfir org
Subject: Re: IP: Ford Talks Up Bluetooth Car
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:13:36 -0800
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

 > >>Citing the growth of legislation banning the use of handheld cell
 >>phones while driving, Khangura said it was clear that drivers
 >>wanted to make phone calls in the car. He also displayed a survey
 >>that showed drivers singling out "dialing a cell phone" as the
 >>biggest distraction on the road today.

Dave,

What's so ironic is how this relates to the actual studies on this
issue that have been done to date.  Two of the most interesting
ones showed that:

 a) The distracting aspects of cell phone usage (to the extent that
    they are a distraction, see [b] below) are not so much related
    to the handling of the handset but rather relate to the conversations
    themselves.  That is, hands-free cell conversations seem to behave
    similarly to handheld cell conversations in this respect
    for the drivers of vehicles.

 b) For those auto accidents where distraction was involved, cell phone
    usage (of any type, handheld or not) was found to be the cause of the
    distraction in only 1.5% of those accidents!  The other 98.5% included
    eating, shaving, putting on makeup, dealing with children in the vehicle
    (that's a major one!), and so on.  Cell phones get blamed because they
    are relatively new and very visible when a handheld is in use, but the
    statistics don't back up the popular view of their culpability.

I spoke about this in my "Cell Phone Bans" Fact Squad Radio piece
(http://www.factsquad.org/radio) and in my "Reality Reset" column
entitled "Cell Phone Follies" (http://www.vortex.com/reality/2001-05-22)
earlier this year.

The piling up of *any* gadgets in autos, whether hands-free or handheld, is
a complex issue that isn't going to be "solved" by Bluetooth or any other
featured technology of the moment.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/