Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: WAS AN OLD VIRUS BUT STILL ACTIVE virus alert

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:34:44 -0500

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:30:18 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: virus alert

At 04:15 PM 12/13/2001, Georgi Kostov wrote:

>There is a virus circulating around.  It can be activated by using
>Internet Explorer and going to specially designed web pages that make you
>think you are downloading a sound/etc. file (see announcement below.)
>Or, it can come as a mail attachment _disguised_ as a multimedia file, but
>is actually an executable, like the one mentioned in the Internet Explorer
>advisory.  I just got the latter kind.  The attachment pretended to be of
>MIME type Audio/X-WAV, but when saved (and many e-mail clients save
>automagically) it may be called Sorry_about_yesterday.MP3.pif, which is
>what I just got, and is an executable under Windows.

Dave:

I am afraid that this is old news. The Badtrans.A worm, which uses this
technique, has been circulating for quite awhile now, and is only one of
several that do. The primary danger of this type of worm is that users of
Outlook and Outlook Express need not launch an attachment to be infected.
Due to serious defects in Microsoft's mail and Web browsing software, the
worm is activated as soon as the incoming message is PREVIEWED. In any
other industry, such a serious defect would merit a recall, but Microsoft
has made only token efforts to inform users of these vulnerabilities and
therefore most users are still susceptible.

For more information about Badtrans.A in particular, see the write-up I did at

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D25124%2526a%253D19248,00.asp#story6

(Apologies for the long URL; it may need to be pasted back together.)

--Brett Glass

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/