Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bush envokes executive privilege

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:28:11 -0500

From: "James Rooney" <jamesroo () microsoft com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Just one more thing the Bush administration is hiding.
-------

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2001/12/13/privilege/index.html

President Bush invoked executive privilege for the first time Thursday
to keep Congress from seeing documents of prosecutors' decision-making
in cases ranging from a decades-old Boston murder to the Clinton-era
fund-raising probe.

The administration informed a House committee of the decision prior to a
congressional hearing on the Boston case involving the FBI's handling of
informants.

In a memo to Attorney General John Ashcroft, the president explained his
decision.

"It is my decision that you should not release these documents or
otherwise make them available to the committee," Bush wrote in the memo
obtained by AP. "I have decided to assert executive privilege with
respect to the documents."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/