Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on All the News That Fits; How the media color their coverage.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:38:49 -0500

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:14:33 -0500
From: Brent Hunsaker <brent.hunsaker () alcatel com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: All the News That Fits; How the media color their coverage.

David,

As I remember my history, from the birth of the newspaper to today - spin has been a part of reporting. It is the reason many towns had two papers, one paper supporting one side of a story or issue and the other paper support the opposite. The Hurst newspaper empire was well know to spin stories and push issues favored by its editor. Or as the author below states "advancing the newspapers' chosen causes and attempting to alter the readers perception of reality. "

This story distorts reality by stating that spin is a recent behavior just in favor of the liberal left. The conservative right spins just as much. The pendulum of public opinion will swing from conservative to liberal back to conservative over time. The papers will follow or lead such swings, depending on the editors of the papers.

Papers will always report the facts, or with holds them, mingled with the viewpoint of the reporter and editor. "...[T]he press' incessant support of the "transmogrification of liberalism..."'" quoted below just shows this author's conservative viewpoint. Just as valid a point of view as the liberal view he disagrees with.

What I don't like is the little white lies both sides propagate to "spin" their viewpoints as truth.

Brent Hunsaker

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/