Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: some more Verizon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:44:16 -0400

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:38:50 -0500
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: Manny Farber <manny () manny com>
Subject: some more Verizon

I don't even see why ISPs need only relay e-mail from their own IP addresses--
they can require POP (?) authentication before sending mail.

Here's some more information about their implementation of Verizon's
implementation of their ridiculous SMTP policy.

First off, they instituted it two days earlier than they announced that
they would.
If anything, they probably should have given their customers two days grace.

Secondly, although they won't relay e-mail tagged as from the real e-mail
address I use (manny () manny com), for me they'll still relay e-mail tagged
as from,
among other things:

techsupport () bellatlantic net
postmaster () bellatlantic net
(any BellAtlantic DSL customer--I tried myself and a friend)

Presumably ditto for @verizon.net on the above.

It is still possible to set the "Reply-To" field.
So theoretically it would be possible to:

(1) Send spam using other BellAtlantic customer's userids. If you're
interested,
you could still receive replies to the spam, at whatever e-mail address
you wish.

(2) Send obnoxious e-mail purportedly from techsupport () bellatlantic net to
BellAtlantic customers, and have the replies go back to BellAtlantic
techsupport. Oh wait, why bother: BellAtlantic apparently does that anyway.

However, the following are not possible:

(1) You get spam from one of those many lists popping up that purport to
be "opt-in".
To unsubscribe, you probably have to send an e-mail from the address to
which it
was sent. This is no longer possible!

(2) Ditto for legitimate lists.

And the dumb thing is that no sooner does Verizon improve the reliability
of their DSL
service to acceptable standards than they come up with this unacceptable
SMTP policy.
I think it would be a neat stunt for a Verizon competitor to set up a mail
server for use by
disfranchised Verizon customers. They could allow mail relaying only from
Verizon
DSL IP addresses and add a Yahoo!-style, one-line advertisement at the bottom.

Manny

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/