Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The End of Innovation: An Interview With Lawrence Lessig

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 18:15:32 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:14:55 -0700
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: The End of Innovation:  An Interview With Lawrence Lessig

Dave, I thought your readers might like the interview with Lessig on
openp2p.com (http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/08/07/lessig.html):

It opens:

"2001 has been a bad year not just for dot-coms but
also for people interested in preserving the public's right to fair
use of copyright materials. From the shutdown of Napster and the DeCSS
case to the prosecution of Dmitry Sklyarov, federal prosecutors and
U.S. courts have acted in support of copyright interests and against
the public's ability to use technology to secure fair-use rights.
OpenP2P.com editor Richard Koman talks about these turns of events
with Lawrence Lessig."

Here are a couple of the juiciest quotes from the interview:

"Imagine a court saying, 'Xerox Corporation has to stop producing
copiers until it can guarantee -- 100 percent guarantee -- that nobody
will violate anybody's copyright law using a Xerox machine.' ...It's
that kind of extreme attitude that I think is most harmful to the
opportunity for innovation here."

"Employees at Smith & Wesson don't have to fear that the FBI is going to
swoop down and arrest them because their products led to somebody being
killed, yet employees of software companies need to fear that some FBI
agent
is going to swoop down and arrest them because it's possible that
somebody
used their code to steal the latest John Grisham novel."

Incidentally, this whole issue is the subject of Lessig's next book,
which should be out soon.  I've read the pre-pub draft, and it's as
thought-provoking as Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace.  (And if you
haven't read that one, it's also highly recommended.)  Larry will also
be keynoting at the O'Reilly P2P and Web Services Conference in
Washington D.C. Sept 18-21.

--
101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104