Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "Dave Farber disagreed with my recent column [ Dan Gilmor's ] on Microsoft and how to deal with Windows XP. Here's his take:"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:56:50 -0400

Dave Farber on Microsoft and Windows XP

Dave Farber disagreed with my recent column [ Dan Gilmor's ]on Microsoft
and how to deal with Windows XP. Here's his take:

First let me make my position clear. I am not a fan of MS behavior. I and a
handful of others traded the comfort of sitting by and watching and
kibitzing for the stress of getting in front of a federal judge and telling
it the way we saw it. I have changed none of the testimony I gave then and
standby everything I said.

What I see is the issue behind the attempt to stop the introduction of MS
Windows XP is the beginning of a slippy slope leading to the inevitable
regulation of the software industry by the courts at a level that will
severely damage the US economy. All the evidence I can see says the court
system is not prepared to examine software architecture and to determine
what is modular proper programming and what is not. What the packaging of
DLL that allow maximum competition and what is not. What interfaces are
validly hidden from applications and which are not.

I believe that it is appropriate for the courts to examine whether licenses
are anti-competitive or not and to rectify by court action improper
licenses and marketing arrangements in keeping with the findings of the
courts.

If the Government -- that is the Courts, Congress and/or Executive think
that there must be supervision of certain aspects of the software
architecture, there are several ways of implementation. One is the creation
of another bureaucracy in DC. As a guy who just spent a wonderful year at
the FCC and they are doing a good job given the laws they must enforce,
lets not have the FCC II -- namely the Federal Computer Commission. The
other is to pass laws and have judicial oversight and supervision. The
problem with this is that judges don't have the knowledge necessary to
navigate between the conflicting claims of the sides in such manners. The
only way I know of to make this work with out destroying our industry is to
leave those judgements in the hands of real experts in software systems.
Look at the mechanism of the Master that the FTC created in the AOL/TW
merger case to oversee the activities of the use of AOL/TW facilities by
the three required ISPs. Choose a panel of technical masters and make them
focus only on the technical/architectural issues and advise the court as to
the facts and any possible cures. Require the judge to make rulings that
are technologically based on these facts and the law not on endless legal
documents that will obscure the facts.

I for one would prefer not to see the government/courts micro-manage the
software industry. If MS is violating the law, break them up and put the
full power of the legal process to work. Don't assume that patching a bit
there and a bit here will work. If they are not guilty, leave them alone.
Lets rapidly decide what the answer is.

http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/08/08/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/index.htm#farber

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/