Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: today's nyt story, about safeweb.com - 'what's wrong withthis picture dept'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:09:17 -0400

From: gep2 () terabites com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:49:14 -0500
Subject: IP: re: today's nyt story, about safeweb.com -  'what's wrong
        withthis picture dept'

To: dave () farber net

SafeWeb is a proxy service.  When you use them, every single HTTP
request from your browser goes through their server. In other words, if
you don't trust them, then cookies are the least of your worries.

I understand the "credibility issue" point, but IMO SafeWeb should not
eschew the use of cookies just because people have an irrational fear
of them. Ad Bruce Schneier says, "Security is a process, not
a product"; part of that process is education.

The fact is that cookies are a brain-dead, misguided "solution" to the
problem.
 They operate based on the presumption (simply WRONG!) that a person's
session
and access permissions are necessarily tied to a single (client) computer,
and
likewise that nobody else uses that computer.

Public access machines (in Internet cafes, public libraries, airport waiting
lounges, and even in homes and businesses) demonstrate how clearly
bankrupt that
design premise is.

For example, just because Mom and Dad have the "authorization cookie" to
access
an adult site, DOES NOT MEAN that the kids should have access later just
because
they use the same family machine.

If I get onto a Web site and my client machine dies in the middle of an
extended
interaction of some kind, I'd like to be able to walk over to another
machine at
my office (or here at my home!) and continue the session.

It's really a trivial matter to store the "cookie" on a database/cookie
server
AT THE HOST WEB SITE, specified by a simple unique user ID of some kind (the
user could maybe even specify something that makes sense to them... an E-mail
address would probably be relatively unique, or failing that could be
modified
slightly to make it so...).  This would eliminate the need to ship the cookie
down the (slow) client line, and also would eliminate most
privacy/misappropriation concerns.  Once the unique ID is established, it can
easily be passed as a URL suffix to permit the "host-side cookie" to be
retrieved for subsequent processing, if any.

A user can later continue the session from ANY computer ANYWHERE, and
likewise
doesn't have to worry about some other user assuming their identity (just
because they're using the same machine!) and having access to stuff they
shouldn't have.

Thoughtless and uncreative webmasters tend to use cookies and Java more
because
they're familiar with those approaches (and enjoy 'showing off') than because
those approaches really are GOOD solutions to the problems of functionality,
persistency and session state.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/