Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: today's nyt story, about safeweb.com - 'what's wrong withthis picture dept'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:02:37 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: catalyst () contractprivacyofficer com
Subject: Re: IP: today's nyt story, about safeweb.com -  'what's wrong
withthis picture dept'
From: pb () purportal com (Paul Bissex)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:54:59 -0400

Dave/Paul,

Apologies for stating the obivous, but: cookies are a
persistance mechanism, not a survellance technology.

SafeWeb is a proxy service.  When you use them, every single HTTP
request from your browser goes through their server. In other words, if
you don't trust them, then cookies are the least of your worries.

I understand the "credibility issue" point, but IMO SafeWeb should not
eschew the use of cookies just because people have an irrational fear
of them. Ad Bruce Schneier says, "Security is a process, not
a product"; part of that process is education.

Most IPers (Mr. Foldes included, most likely) know this stuff, I'm sure,
but for those who don't, here's a good review:

  http://www.w3.org/Security/Faq/wwwsf2.html#CLT-Q10

FTR, I have no affiliation with SafeWeb.

best

pb

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/