Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Independent study of ICANN's At Large membership

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:18:12 -0400

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:42:13 +0900
To: dave () farber net
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Subject: Independent study of ICANN's At Large membership
Cc: izumi () anr org

Dave, perhaps you could post to IP?  (Izumi and I are members of the NAIS
team. 140 page report - hard work!)

See you in couple weeks,

Adam

The NGO and Academic ICANN Study (NAIS) has released its report on
reforming ICANN to make it more responsive to the public interest,
entitled, "ICANN, Legitimacy, and the Public Voice: How to Make
Global Participation and Representation Work." The report is
available in PDF at: http://www.naisproject.org/report/final/.

An Executive Summary of the report is also available, in both PDF and
HTML forms. Translations of the Executive Summary (Spanish, French,
and Chinese) are currently in production.

In brief, the NAIS report calls on ICANN to commit itself to
including the public voice in three major areas:

* ICANN should maintain a broad, open At-Large Membership, accessible
to any Internet user with an interest in ICANN's activities.

* The At-Large Membership must be provided with strong participatory
mechanisms, to enable Members to have a persistent and continuing
role in the dialogue and debate that are part of the ICANN policy
process.

* The Membership must also be strongly represented at the Board level
through the direct election of a number of At-Large Directors equal
to the aggregate number of Directors selected by the Supporting
Organizations.

The report discusses these principles in detail, and sets out a
framework by which ICANN can fulfill them completely.

We look forward to the community's responses to this report. Please
feel free to contact me or any member of the NAIS team with any
questions or comments.

Rob Courtney

--
--