Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Response to David Reed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:46:30 -0400

Sender: rberger () imap ultradevices com
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:49:10 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

I haven't seen the TV/Radio broadcasters being open to sharing or leasing
their spectrum and they got it for free...

The ARRL is already protesting the sharing of their spectrum with
Ultrawideband and they got their spectrum allocations for free too...

Monopolists don't ever want to share even lease (see open access in Cable
TV, Telecom Act with the ILECs) if it cuts into their Monopoly...

I don't see a market mechanism emerging where incumbent monopolists will
allow even non interfering Ultrawideband to begin to develop.

My suggestion is to have a market mechanism for legacy uses of spectrum
with the explicit regulatory statement that all spectrum must be open to
non-interfering secondary uses (such as Ultrawideband or SDR radios that
find and utilize unused local bandwidth for instance). Legacy devices that
are more than 10 years old should not be used to determine interference.

We can then transition from the market legacy to a technologically
mediated sharing of an inexhaustible medium.
--
Robert J. Berger - UltraDevices, Inc.
257 Castro Street, Suite 223 Mt. View CA. 94041

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/