Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Response to David Reed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 07:03:08 +1000

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Response to David Reed

I am impressed that David Reed, one of the greats of this field, has given
us such a thoughtful reply.  I will try to respond appropriately, cognizant
that (to paraphrase Dave) I'm no engineer.

Let me first remind your readers that in proposing a property rights-market
system, I am not claiming that it's perfect -- only that it is infinitely
better than what we have now.  Paraphrasing Winston Churchill (in speaking
of democracy), I don't have to show it's perfect; just that it's better than
the available alternatives;-)

David Reed argues that a good must be subdividable into easily transferable
lots without loss of value in order to ensure a market works.  This is
pretty close to true; in fact, the good must be both subdividable and
aggregateable; which one does depends upon what use what has in mind.
Surely subdividing real property into 1" square lots is pretty useless ...
unless you are selling souvenir plots of Graceland.  For example, it's
pretty hard to get a driveway and sewer and water lines into a tiny plot of
land.  Similarly, subdividing spectrum (increasing wastage from guard bands)
has the same sort of limit.  Users will aggregate or subdivide to meet their
own needs (as an apartment builder aggregates smaller properties or a home
builder subdivides former farmland for new homes).  I may be guilty of a
"faulty understanding of the physics" here, but I don't think David has made
the case.  Simply asserting that subdivision has costs, while true, doesn't
quite do it.

He also mentions that markets work if the good is expensive to produce.
This is not quite true; markets work well if the good is scarce, either
because it is expensive to produce or because people want more of it than
exists.  I recently had the privilege of buying waterfront property on a bay
in Delaware; very expensive, and nobody (at least on this earth) created or
produced it.  And the developer wisely chose the appropriate subdivision to
enhance marketability for him and usability for me.

David also indicates that property rights work well if one person's use of a
good doesn't interfere with another person's use of his good.  This is
certainly true; but land certainly doesn't fit that model and yet it has
been adapted to the property rights model extremely well.  I would argue
that the number of possible uses of land that interfere with my neighbors is
way more difficult to control that interfering uses of spectrum.  For
example, my neighbor is currently building a house next to me, and the
construction crew needs an on-site outhouse.  Do I like having an outhouse
next door?  Not really.  Is this an "interfering use?"  Yeah.  Are there
laws/ordinances to cover this?  Yes there are.

David Reed then mentions the all-important network effects issue.  If
systems interoperate/interconnect, they are more valuable to
customers/citizens.  He mentions the failure of Marconi-Telefunken
interoperability "in the days of the Titanic," implying this had something
to do with that disaster (which it didn't).  I (and Dave) are all for
interconnection of systems; but this has nothing to do with spectrum, or
spectrum ownership.  I can use my Verizon cellphone to call a friend on a
Cingular phone without problems, thus realizing the benefits of one giant
phone system (thanks to the FCC's interconnection policies, *not* the
market).  They don't have to share the same frequencies in order to gain the
advantages of network effects.  Again, perhaps I am misunderstanding the
technical aspects of this, but interoperability at the application level
(rather than the hardware/spectrum level) is the issue, and that is
completely transparent to spectrum ownership.  This is not to say it is not
a huge problem (Dave and I wrestled mightily with this at the FCC in the
AOL-Time Warner merger), it is just not a spectrum ownership problem.

David then goes on to suggest that the future of radio is in cooperative
technologies that make much more efficient use of the spectrum, such as
software defined radio, ultra-wide band, etc.  These advances are very
difficult for the current system to accommodate; they work fine if
restricted to Part 15 spectrum, but the flurry of innovation is finding
these bands increasingly crowded, and the current spectrum allocation
mechanism cannot respond in a timely way to these new needs.  But I would
argue that a property rights-market model is extraordinarily effective at
adapting to new needs (after all, property rights have been around a very
long time, and we still find them highly useful, in part because these
system continue to adapt to new technology).  There are two ways in which
cooperative systems could fit well into a property rights regime (details to
be worked out later; this is conceptual): (i) a large number of bandwidth
owners could be induced to sell/lease an "easement" on their property to
accommodate, say, very low power uses (UWB) or opportunistic uses (SDR).
(ii) public agencies or private parties could establish a wide swath of
spectrum in which cooperative sharing could occur, either priced or not.  As
I mentioned originally, we have public parks where people come together for
a shared experience, and I suspect we'd have parks in spectrum space where
people can share.  David sets up a bit of a straw man when he argues that
property rights implies partitioning and closedness.  It doesn't.  Much of
private property is about sharing -- office parks, condominiums, apartments,
etc., are all about private property and sharing.  His argument is that
radio innovation is all about sharing and cooperation, which is antithetical
to private property.  In fact, it is not antithetical to private property
and can be accommodated quite easily.

Let me also go on record that property rights and markets are all about
encouraging innovation; as an historical fact, the capitalistic country in
the world (that would be the US) has the best record of innovation
(certainly for the last 60 years).  Markets aren't the only means to
encourage innovation; the Internet did very well on innovation without
markets, and the Soviet Union did some very impressive innovation as well in
its time.  But I will put my money on markets to out-innovate just about
anything else. David's blanket statement that a market model will stifle
innovation is wrong both in its particulars and in general.

At the risk of spouting pretentious social philosophy: cooperative ventures
work well when there's a tight community that can discipline inappropriate
behavior through social mores.  We all experienced this during the
pre-commercial days of the Internet.  But when the resource in question
increases in value and millions demand it, community changes and economic
values predominate, as they do in today's Internet.  Remember those Westerns
in which the cattle guys wanted to drive their cattle anywhere on the open
range, and the sheepherders built fences to keep their sheep enclosed?
Eventually, the fence-builders win (and lease some land to the cowboys),not
because fences are good, but because private property is the more efficient
way to organize markets for scarce resources.  I believe we are long past
the point where we can all play cooperatively in the E/M sandbox.  The
resource is way too valuable to be managed by the government, and too
valuable to be run as a commons.  There will have to be adult supervision,
and that's what a market will do.  The market can accommodate a wide variety
of sharing technologies easily; but it will not accommodate anarchy.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/