Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: A Question for The Intelligent ( ;-) )People Network

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:54:07 -0700

From: Franke James <franke () jamesgang com>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP: A Question for The Intelligent ( ;-) )People Network
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:49:53 -0400

Dave,

Provocative question from Barry. Part of the answer is backing content
plays which push people to the new technologies, and thus make it
worthwhile for the Telcos (and convergence empires) to invest in high-
speed infrastructure. Canada is farther along this path than the US. I
believe that entertaining P to P content which spans all media -- web,
wireless, voice web, digital TV (and even newspaper) will drive users to
the new technologies, and help fuel sales of consumer goods (add in
location-based technology and you have a seductive way to close the sales
cycle loop). Witness the craze for i-mode phones in Japan; evidence of
the power of fashion trends and the consumer's appetite for cool tools
that allow them to interact instantly with like minded folks.

Think Viral,

Franke

Franke James MFA
Creator, Nerdheaven Ltd.
Co-founder, Jamesgang.com

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:05:02 -0400
From: Barry Frankel <bfrankel () PrincetonCapital com>

Dave,

I was listening to all the gloom and doom about the economy last night
and the more I thought about it the more sure I became that what this
economy needs is some stimulus from the technology sector.  But there is
little out there at the moment that is exciting.

But then it hit me. The stimulus just might be broad deployment of high
speed internet connectivity.  And the question I hope you'll put out to
the IP network is how do we make it happen?

Is it a government program like the Federal Universal Service Program
for telephones that will get this ball rolling?

Or is it a bold challenge by the President of The United States similar
to Kennedy's challenge to get a man on the moon to make high speed
connectivity available to everyone in the country within four years?

Is it linking a future tax refund to paying for content delivered over
the internet?

Is it a government run Napster?

I'm not sure that any of these are the solution which is why I'd love to
see the question asked of the others on your distribution list.

Barry

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/