Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: and Demostrations WEB FILTERS AT SCHOOLS, LIBRARIES BY JULY 2002

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:32:07 -0400

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:28:29 -0700
From: Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

David Farber writes:

The FCC has ruled that, in accordance with the Children's Internet
Protection Act (CHIPA), libraries and public schools must install
Web filters by July 1, 2002, as well as demonstrate progress on
the matter by Oct. 28 of this year. The FCC ruling denied
requests by the American Library Association (ALA) asking for
more time before the terms of the law are implemented. The FCC
is charged with implementing CHIPA to shield school-age children
from X-rated and other controversial Web content.

Not exactly co-incidentally, the EFF is having a demonstration at the
Pleasanton, CA office of the FCC over this very issue on Friday.

http://www.eff.org/br/br1.html

They have also announced a related demonstration in Long Island, NY.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org>  | And do not say, I will study when I

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/