Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Tech Workers' Stock Options Turn Into Tax Nightmares:

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:49:03 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Re: Tech Workers' Stock Options Turn Into Tax Nightmares:
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:25:58 -0400
From: On request deleted

[if you forward to IP, kindly keep anonymous, this has elements of one of
those religious wars and I don't want to lose the next two weeks arguing...]

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I react that these guys lost due to greed.

They exercised their stock options, but chose to hold stock rather than
sell, so they could reduce their taxes.  (I.e. they had a nice gain but
wanted more and decided to risk their tax liability).  But then they forgot
to watch the market price (or get a good broker to watch the market for them)
and sell when the stock went down.  They bet on the bubble and lost.
(Yes there are a few folks whose stock went into freefall so fast that
in a matter of minutes it zipped past the point where they could sell and
save themselves -- but my sense is not many).

They knew the risks -- deciding to hold the stock rather than sell means
they read the option grant rules so they knew that holding could save
them taxes.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/