Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: vis-a-vis Libraries

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:02:04 -0400

Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 10:40:07 -0700
From: Joe Crawford <joe () artlung com>

A speech from Bruce Sterling from 1992 to the Library Information
Technology Association  is more prescient every day...

[ read it all at ]
http://www.eff.org/pub/Misc/Publications/Bruce_Sterling/free_as_air.speech

"The American library system was invented in a different cultural
climate. This is how it happened. You're Benjamin Franklin, a
printer and your average universal genius, and it's the Year of Our
Lord 1731."
<....snips....>

"Now forget 1731. It's 1991. Forget the leatherbound books.  You
start swopping floppy disks and using a bulletin board system.
Public spirited? A benefit to society? Democratic institution,
knowledge is power, power to the people? Maybe... or maybe you're
an idealistic nut, Mr. Franklin.  Not only that, but you're
menacing our commercial interests. What about our trade secrets, Mr
Franklin?  Our trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Our
intellectual property rights. Our look-and-feel. Our patented
algorithms. Our national security clearances. Our export licenses.
Our FBI surveillance policy. Don't copy that floppy, Mr. Franklin!
And you're telling me you want us to pay *taxes* to support your
suspicious activities? Hey, if there's a real need here, the market
will meet it, Mr Franklin. I really think this "library" idea of
yours is something better left to the private sector, Mr Franklin.
No author could possibly want his books read for free, sir.  Are
you trying to starve the creative artist?"

        - Joe
--
Joe Crawford <mailto:joe () artlung com>
 * I am a Web Designer and Developer;