Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: CSTB Study on Internet Searching and the Domain Name System

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 05:08:39 -0400

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:54:46 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch () ISI EDU>

Interesting title.

I've long believed that much of the current problems could disappear if
everyone would finally admit that "the DNS is not a search engine."

For decades we've used telephone directories to find businesses by
category. We don't look under 'Rental Car Co." in the white pages. DNS
names were designed to be easily remembered, not necessarily easily
intuited.

If we merely added a few numbers or characters to the names (like we do
with duplicate license plates or cute telephone acronyms) we'd avoid at
least some of the problem...

Joe

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/