Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: A personal view from your IP Editor -- A missed Broadband Opp ortunity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 05:06:36 -0400

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:16:39 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Crocker <steve () stevecrocker com>

Dave, et al,

I just finished shutting down my tiny DSL-based ISP.  I had feeds from
Verizon and Covad.  Both companies had their strengths and weaknesses, all
of which have been well documented.

One of the reasons I shut down was lack of control of the service.  I
lived in constant fear that a wholesale disruption would leave me with
many unhappy customers and no means of doing anything about it.

At home, I have two distinct DSL services, one based on Verizon and one
based on Covad.  Yes, that's obviously more expensive than a single DSL
line, but it's a whole lot less expensive than even one T1 line, and the
service is roughly in the same league.  (Purists will argue; so be it.)  I
*vastly* prefer having two DSL lines to having one DSL line and some other
form of back up such as ISDN or dial up.  ISDN continues to be a
nightmare, and dialup is too slow.  And configuration issues favor having
two DSL lines as well.  A standard PC running Windows can be configured to
know about two routers.  If one line goes down, little or nothing is
needed to get all the machines to switch to the other line.

A dual-DSL configuration is not likely to catch on for home use, but for
business use I think it's an excellent balance between cost and reliability.

There are, of course, some shared points of failure.  The copper loops
will likely run through the same trenches and on the same poles, and
they'll terminate in the same central office.  Even so, there can
be  happy surprises.  An idiot operating some construction equipment a
block from my house took out a bunch of overhead telephone lines a year or
so ago.  The entire neighborhood was affected.  To my surprise, only two
of my POTS lines and my Covad line went down.  My third POTS line, which
also happened to have my Verizon DSL service on, was apparently routed
differently and I was still operational.

Another possible form of back up is Ricochet...

Cheers!

Steve