Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Sega tries to censor hacker discussions of Dreamcast system

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:41:21 -0400

Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 23:59:11 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Pamela Jones <pmljn19 () mindspring com>

Dave:

There's no need to rely on this account.  The entire debate is up at
Harvard's Berkman site here:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/futureofip/archive.asp

You need RealPlayer to view it, but you can download off their site, if you
wish.

Questions from audience are also logged there, if anyone wants to read them.

IANAL, but I think it's worth pointing out that Napster's case is based on
the position that using Napster is *not* illegal, because of fair use,
among other reasons.  The technology involved isn't one person sharing with
millions;  it's one person to another person...  Just like you do when
sharing your CDs with friends, who then might pass them on to others, all
of which is perfectly legal.  It's peer-to-peer sharing, which is, by
definition, one on one.  You can read an interview with Boies, in which he
explains his strategy, in Wired:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.10/boies.html.

I have no angle here, no ax to grind, and no hard drive full of Napster
downloads. My interest is just accuracy.  I took the time to watch the
debate, and I would have written a very different account.

Pamela Jones