Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Sega tries to censor hacker discussions of Dreamcast system

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:32:53 -0400

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:14:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gregory Aharonian <srctran () world std com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re:  IP: Sega tries to censor hacker discussions of Dreamcast
    system

Dave,
        Here is something I recently sent out over PATNEWS about music,
copyrights and the Internet.  Feel free to send it out over your list.
Greg Aharonian

!20001004  Copyrights: Lessig versus Valenti; rapper Chuck D & Napster

    Last Sunday and Monday, I had a chance to sit in on an interesting
debate between Prof. Lawrence Lessig and Jack Valenti over the future
of copyrights and intellectual property on the Internet (given at the
Harvard Law School on Sunday) followed the next day by a talk by the
rapper Chuck D on copyrights, music, the Internet and Napster.  What
follows below are my best attempts to capture the gist of what they
said, all quite interesting.

    The talks reflected the two sides of this week's court hearing in
San Francisco over the future of Napster.  One side is the music and
entertainment industry arguing for strict adherence to the copyright
laws, that programs like Napster facilitate way too much outright theft,
and if you don't like it, pass a new law in Congress.  The other side
basically argues that some copyright theft is fine if these programs can
be used to take down the greedy and arrogant large music and entertainment
companies since we don't have enough money to buy legislation in Congress.

    My prediction about the Napster case is that Napster eventually will
lose - when the courts realize that Napster is pretty much lying through
their teeth when they say that they can't afford in realtime to catch much
of the exchange of copyright materials, and therefore conclude that Napster
is more of a tool to promote theft than help people occasionally fairly
share purchased goods (and the same goes for myMP3 and RecordTV).  Napster
is trying to be both part of the establishment (through its venture capital
investments) and to be anti-establishment (by helping people engage in
theft), an untenable position.  Grow-up.  Either be part of the profitable
establishment (what the entertainment companies will set up after quashing
upstarts like Napster), or be part of the unprofitable anti-establishment
(like Gnutella). But trying to be both is idiotic, and ultimately a losing
strategy.

    That said, here is what Lessig, Valenti and Chuck D had to say.

Greg Aharonian
Internet Patent News Service
www.bustpatents.com/subscribe.htm

                              ====================

                               VALENTI v. LESSIG
               The Future of Intellectual Property on the Internet
                       Ames Courtoom - Harvard Law School
                             October 1, 2000 - 7pm

VALENTI:
I am not a lawyer, wanted to be one, go to Harvard Law School.  Ended
up at Harvard Business School - if I am arrogant, that's what they
taught me  - haha.  Consider William of Occam - Occam's Razor - in
essence, "keep it simple".  This is about private property, intellectual
property, in the Internet era, is easy to "steal".  Judge Kaplan (DeCSS
case) - last paragraph of the decision - "in excitement of easy access,
when you take what is not your ... it is stealing".

At Stanford Law School lecture, I asked the audience, and found out that
9/10 law students were using Napster.  One student said "Yea, I guess
it is stealing, but everyone is doing it."  What are they teaching at
Stanford Law School?  Internet is breeding people who think if it is
on Internet, it is free.

In March, for MPAA, I organized a new Digital Strategies department.
I talk with cyberspace people.  I am on the board of two Internet
companies.  MPAA DS department is going to organize, online, offering
movies in a variety of business models at fair and reasonable prices.
When we do this, it will be an alternative to stealing.  We will use
encryption, watermarks, in conjunction with hardware and software
developers.  Again, Judge Kaplan's comment "if it isn't yours, it is
stealing".

LESSIG:
Jack is sweet, but I have made a career of people hating me.  Lawyers
created this problem.  "Future of IP" - has the word "property".
"Intellectual Property" is not in the Constitution of the United
States, didn't exist back then, instead they had government-backed
monopolies.  Thomas Jefferson was a strong opponent of patents.  In
Pennsylvania, didn't ratify Constitution until clause in First
Amendment to override control of free speech inherent in copyright.
Original copyright was for 14 years, with no control over translation,
abridgement, performance uses.  In 1790, there were 127 publishers.
For 100 years, copyright protection was only extended to Americans.
It was supposed to be a limited right for authors, but has expanded
dramatically in 200 years, to today's life of author plus seventy years,
with much control of publishing/sales, and now performance, translation
and derivatives.

Until the Internet era, who cared?  But with the Internet, everyone can
be creative.  Copyright now regulates all 200+ million citizens, not
the original 127 publishers.  It is not a simple question of stealing,
but how far control will be extended.  Some say "it is too easy to
copy and steal on the Internet will kill entertainment industry".  But
they said that about the VCR.  I won't deny stealing goes on.  But the
future is technologies to control distribution of IP to give owners
more control without bloated copyright laws.  Rights in real world to
use books work fine (like libraries) --->  these practices are easily
extended into Internet world.

The question is will copyright holders get complete control over all
aspects of their works?  Current cases such as DVD / Napster is about
control of use.  But constitution is about fair return to authors.
Walt Disney classics (such as Snow White) were already in the public
domain.  Why stop future entertainment innovation by allowing complete
control of content of these existing works?  Technology will provide
in the next few years plenty on control of cyberspace IP access.  We
don't need more controls.

VALENTI:
What are you proposing for copyright?

LESSIG:
1) A reasonable term - say 14 years

2) No retroactive extensions of copyright

3) People should be able to make fair use of copyright materials - get
   rid of anti-copyright protection schemes

4) Stronger conception of importance of public domain materials for
   creating new works

VALENTI:
Some history.  Kant wrote: "Injustice of pirating books.  It is moral
right of author to profit from his works."  French revolutionaries
abolished copyright.  Within a year, 20% of French publishing houses
went bankrupt.

For the movie business in Internet era, a threat on opening nites is
someone copying the new movie and send it out over the Internet.
Average movie costs $52 million.  2/10 ever profit from theatre sales.

American copyright term extended to be compatible with rest of the
world's copyright schemes.  MPAA working with Europeans to improve
copyright.

Esther Dyson doesn't think we need copyright for anyone, but she sells
high priced, printed (not easily stolen electronic), non-Internet
newsletter with a copyright symbol on each issue.  Without protection,
who will make these investments?  If you can't protect what you own,
you won't own anything.

LESSIG:
But our founding fathers rejected European views of copyrights, so
compatibility not a priori necessary.  We are more oriented towards a
fair return copyright system.  But incentive?  You cannot incent a
dead person.  We need an intellectual commons.

Question: Were our founding fathers pirates or not for providing the
copyright protections we have today?

VALENTI:
Well, today's Congress passed these changes.  Don't like it, introduce
your own bill in Congress.

LESSIG:
But incentives for dead people (i.e. extension of existing copyright terms).
Are such retrospective extensions compatible with the founding father's
intent?

VALENTI:
Yes.  An issue over which intelligent men can differ.

LESSIG:
None that I have met. (Ha Ha)

What's your reason?  I know in Washington DC, they only give dollars.
Not here in Cambridge.

VALENTI:
Intellectual property is books, movies, software, etc.  America is
supreme in this world - people like our stuff.  IP is America's
greatest export - greater than agriculture and automobiles, etc.

LESSIG:
I agree we need a sufficient incentive to produce.

VALENTI:
Do you believe that it is OK for people to download music and movies?

LESSIG:
Yes, in some cases.

VALENTI:
Why is it OK in these cases?  Should students be able to download using
Napster?

LESSIG:
Private sharing of content - sure that's OK.  Even if some people are
violating the law, it shouldn't allow the control of technologies [like
that in the DeCSS case].  The question is their potential for substantial
non-infringing use of things like Napster.  Instead of controlling the
use of Napster, recording industry wants to shut down something it can't
control.  This is all about maintaining control of distribution.

VALENTI:
Boies for Napster uses the same arguments.  Look at Sony-Betamax -
because VCR had substantial non-infringing use, for example if you
timeshift (tape now and playback later).  But court in Sony-Betamax
did not rule on shifting to ten million people.  So watch how you cite
Sony-Betamax.  Napster is not timeshifting - but sharing with anonymous
millions.

LESSIG:
Consider RecordTV's "online VCR" - is this analogous to the VCR case?

VALENTI:
If legitimate, yes.

LESSIG:
MyMP3.com case.  You upload your CD's so you can listen to them anywhere
you have Internet access - call it spaceshifting.  Yet this was shut
down.  But if you agree with Sony-Betamax, can you support spaceshifting?

VALENTI:
I agree with whatever the courts rule, who shut down MyMP3.  In all
cases, the courts have said these systems are illegitimate.  Further,
we will be coming up with reasonable and fair alternatives for the
98-99% of Americans who are honestly interested in such access.

[Greg note:  at this point, questions were taken from the audience.
The first audience member was Emmanuel Goldstein, publisher of the
hacker's 2600 magazine, and one of the defendants in the DeCSS case.[

GOLDSTEIN:
We just lost big lawsuit.  Millions were spent on the DeCSS case.  I
lost the lawsuit, but I don't know what I learned about being a thief.
I guess writing software is theft, and pointing to it is theft.  But
why?  Why am I a thief for my links?

VALENTI:
Read Judge Kaplan's decision.  He looked at fair use, reverse
engineering, encryption and rejected them in light of the DMCA?

GOLDSTEIN:
Why is it important to control encryption through DMCA?

VALENTI:
Laws are there to be changed - if you don't like DMCA, have it changed.
My view is to keep the DMCA intact, to allow authors to protect their
property.

LESSIG:
There is a big difference between perfect control and right to be paid.
Nothing should be free costwise, but free to use/manipulate.  Perversion
of language to call it theft (like in DVD/DeCSS).  No evidence people
were pirating DVD works, just deencrypting.  Where is theft/piracy in
so using DeCSS software?  It isn't theft, but issue is free use of
content.

In its first 150 years, American copyright law changed twice.  In my
life, it has changed a dozen times.  Just to protect Mickey Mouse?

VALENTI:
"Limited" in Constitution.  Founding father's didn't put in a specific
number of years.

QUESTION:
Why is music so expensive - do musicians have to be that rich?

VALENTI:
Yes.

QUESTION (Erik Eldred):
I offer books for free (even copyright books, with permission).  About
harmonization of copyright extensions, two writers in Paris late 1800s,
asked manager "Why aren't we being paid for playing our music".  Manager
didn't pay, so they didn't pay for food, and were arrested.  Outrage
led to copyright performance rights being passed.  Extension had
exemption for music for small bars and restaurants.  Suppose it had
exemption for movies - is that theft?

VALENTI:
Yes.

ELDRED:
Even is law says you can do it?

VALENTI:
I guess so.

QUESTION:
Can your efforts to enforce your rights have negative rights to everyone
else?

VALENTI:
I don't know of any detrimental effect of defense of copyrights.

LESSIG:
Suppose technology takes fair use away?

VALENTI:
I support fair use.

LESSIG:
Yes, but if technology could reduce attempts by people to have fair use?
Like preventing sampling or copying a section, would you oppose these
technologies?

VALENTI:
Yes, I would oppose.  All I want is people to be paid for their efforts.

LESSIG:
I really misunderstood you.  You do get it.  Passed DMCA and technologies
and in five years complete control of use.  But hearing you talk, you
don't see this (like getting rid of fair use).  If so, we agree a lot.
Difference is over how much control should technology allow.  But listen
to fears of people (like the DSS/DeCSS crowd) who are worrying about
too much control of copyright occuring.

VALENTI:
I believe authors have a right to protect their works.  And with the
Internet, we can do so for a fair and reasonable price.

                              ====================

The next day, at a conference hosted by Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, the
rapper Chuck D spoke at one of the sessions.  He is a hugh supporter
of Napster, is known as the "conscience" of the rap world, and an
adopter of ecommerce technologies.  His comments:

CHUCK D:
Today the courts are ruling on Napster's existence.  I am a big fan of
Napster.  I am a fan of fans.  Interested in downloadable music future.
Artist is something you do, not what you are.  I have been in the
Internet world for six years, not as something trendy, but rather as
a necessity, to be a bigger player in the music industry (dominated by
five big players: BMG, Universal, Sony, Thorn/EMI and Time Warner).

In 1994, I got involved with the Def Jam label, who had been around since
the 1980s, when they got a lousy deal from the record business, and
therefore had to offer lousy deals to artists they signed up.

In 1980s, record companies came up with CD technology, and got everyone
to rebuy existing records at 3 times the price.  Music industry also
prided itself on controlling the hardware while owning the software.
Industry used CDs to control what audience played and used.  Music industry
started buying independent labels for more control.

Internet's downloadable music changes everything.  No need for middleman
record companies.  Industry can't control technologies like Napster.
Now people can share more freely.

Major record labels have price-fixed everything.  $17 for CDs?  Why so
expensive?  Who knows.  "Great Big CD Scam", that's what it is.  In 1970s,
music controlled by artists.  Eventually in the music business, these
artists partied too much - major music companies called lawyers and
accountants to fix the mess.  Got technologists to help clean things up.
Used opportunity to take control of the labels, do mergers and used CDs
to make better deals with record stores (CDs take less room) who could
make more profits off of the higher prices.  Artist's contracts haven't
changed though, so they are getting less profits.  Lawyers in music
business shifty shady people - representing both sides (artists & labels).

Industry making 300% to 400% on the dollar, but not the artists.  Music
industry boomed to companies' benefit, not artists.  Started having
disposable artists, who couldn't renegotiate once they tasted success.
Music industry squeezed out all other entrepreneurs.

We have had majors and indies.  Internet creates a new level for promotion
and distribution, "inties".  Three corporations control most radio
stations, institutionalizing once illegal payola.

In 1994, I started my own mini-industry.  But I needed outlets, which the
Internet provides.  A parallel and parasitic channel for content
distribution.  Much like trains challenged by airplanes.  So I got
involved with the Internet as a necessity.  I first was sued, then
called a parasite, not called a competitor.

I have a company, rapstation.com, for rap music and hip-hop.  Billion
dollar music sub-genre.  We can't rely on radio and television to get
out rap/hip-hop - but can rely on the Internet, not only for US
distribution, but to parts of the world that record industry doesn't
get to (or want to get to) - including West Virginia (ha ha).  I look
at rapstation.com as the ESPN of rap/hip-hop.

By 2002, there will be millions of artists and millions of labels on the
Internet providing contact to majors and independents.  We won't need
expensive recording studios, with the availability of inexpensive home
recording equipment.

Copyright & control & infringement:  Rules of last century will have to
remain there.  Value of content comes down as more artists in marketplace.
Artists will have to get used to no more limo rides.  For the first time,
the public has control, allowing new artists to come in more easily.
People have the flexibility to choose how to consume.

It is false for major labels to sell downloads for $17.  They are not
adapting.  The major labels are starting to list like the sinking Titanic.
They need help, so they are begging the government through these court
actions for help.  I can't trust government to decide fairly about
content distribution and copyright laws.

A rally cry can be "We bought vinal, we had to buy CDs, but now we are
Napstering".  Enough having to buy the same music in each new format.
I don't mind paying for download, but not $17.  Little of these prices
is benefitting the artists.

I am a business, boostrapping, and want to become bigger.  But not at the
price of unfair artist's contracts like the big labels.

QUESTION:
Some artists look at the Internet as a threat re Napster.  What is their
business model to be?

ANSWER:
You need a team.  Napster and Gnutella and the others are fantastic
exposure areas to let you get into the game, to be heard.  You need to
keep writing songs, make a catalog.  Be realistic with your prices -
you might have to charge $1 for your first albums, not $17.  This price
setting can challenge industry.  In 1999, I sold an online album for
$5 - $9.  Caused war when stores wanted to charge $17.  I threw a wrench
into their pricing systems.  They fear dismediation of their middle tier.

QUESTION:
The future could see venture capital like funding of music "startups".

ANSWER:
I am here today to find out.  But they will have to make many more smaller
deals - not the big deals of the old major labels.

QUESTION:
Why hurt your efforts by relying on slightly illegal things like Napster?

ANSWER:
Let people determine reality, and let the laws catch up.  There is some
wrong in everything.