Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: A web site of Brian Reids ICANN election experience

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:37:59 -0400

To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3 () torque pothole com>
cc: Brian Reid <reid () mejac palo-alto ca us>, farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: A web site of Brian Reids ICANN election experience
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 07:24:13 -0700
From: Brian Reid <reid () mejac palo-alto ca us>

I don't understand what that statement has to do with this matter.

A comment on the need for understanding of what might be a complex
process. People unable to understand the voting process without help
need to be able to vote, too.

I think, upon reflection, that what went wrong here is that I had no
confidence at all that the election was being run sensibly, and that I
was afraid of violating some hidden rule. ICANN is well known for
duplicity and secrecy, and I had no confidence that election.com would
be properly implementing any well-known voting algorithm.

I appreciate your patient explanations of things. If this business of
electronic voting is ever going to become part of society, then people
need to have confidence that their understanding of the election
process is correct. This confidence comes from a combination of voter
education and slow experience with the reliability and stability of the
institutions running the vote.