Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: A web site of Brian Reids ICANN election experience

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 23:12:13 -0400

Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:59:35 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>
Subject: Re: IP: A web site of Brian Reids  ICANN election experience

Dave- I found this AFTER I voted. I do think the user interface should be
changed so that it says you can rank as few or as many candidates as you wish.
JP

http://members.icann.org/faq.htm#AVP

"I'm not familiar with Alternative Vote procedures. How will the At Large
vote be tallied?

See the Rules :

1. ICANN will use the Alternative (also known as "Preferential" or
"Single-Transferable") Voting System
to conduct this election. Members will rank the candidates in order of
preference ("1" for their first
choice, "2" for their second, etc.). Members may rank as many or as few
candidates as they choose.
The votes will be tallied according to the first preferences (the "1"s).
If at that point one candidate has
an absolute majority (50% + 1) of the vote, he/she is selected. If not,
the candidate with the fewest
votes is eliminated. The eliminated candidate's votes are redistributed to
the next ranked candidates
(the "2"s). The votes are counted again to determine whether any candidate
has an absolute majority.
 If not, the elimination process is repeated until one candidate gains a
majority.

2. In the event of a tie, the candidate with the greatest number of first
preferences (the "1"s) will be
 selected. In the event of a tie in the number of first preferences, the
candidate with the greatest
number of second preferences (the "2"s) will be selected, and so forth
through the sequential
same number of votes at each preference, the selection will be decided by
a coin toss supervised by the Election  Monitoring and Oversight Panel.

Some useful (and entertaining) background resources on the Alternative
Vote process (sometimes
called "Instant Runoff Voting") have been published by the Center for
Voting and Democracy:
-- Chart of voting tabulation process: http://www.fairvote.org/irv/flow.pdf
-- Demo: "The Muppets Use Instant Runoff Voting"
http://www.fairvote.org/irv/muppets/index.html "