Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: When I grow up I want to live in a world where the Secretary of State censures political speech on the Internet... -- Good Morning Silicon Valley Fri Nov 03 12:15:14 EST 2000

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:44:09 -0500

 The Southern California branch of the American Civil Liberties Union
will <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3365122.html>file for a
temporary restraining order against the state of California and
California Secretary of State Bill Jones for "threatening criminal
prosecution" against <http://www.voteswap2000.com/>voteswap2000.com -- a
site where people in hotly contested states agree to vote for Gore if
someone in a less contested state votes for Nader. The hope is that by
doing so Gore will gain a lead over Bush in the contested states, while
the Green Party gains the minimum 5 percent of votes necessary in other
states to qualify for campaign contribution matching funds in the 2004
presidential election. Jones' previously filed restraining order cast a
wet blanket over the initiative, one the ACLU claims undermines healthy
political discourse. "What the secretary of state is doing is censuring
political speech on the Internet," said Mark Rosenbaum, an attorney for
the Southern California branch of the ACLU. "It's the first time I'm
aware of that any elected official anywhere has attempted to censure
political speech on the Internet... I think the secretary of state is
clamping down on pure political speech," he said. "Whether it's because
he's a Republican and this is a (site designed to help) Democrats I don't
know, but he's chilling the nation's discourse."