Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Talk by Herta Doeubler-Gmelin in Berlin

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:27:45 -0500

Last evening, the Minister of Justice Herta Doeubler-Gmelin gave a
pre-dinner  talk at the GIP meeting in Berlin. The speech was prior to
dinner and rather long but more important had a line of reasoning that
infuriated me as an US citizen.

She talked about the German law that forbids the selling of books
supporting Neo-Nazi causes such as Hitler writing. She noted that she had
managed to get Barnes and Nobels and Amazon to not sell such books in
Germany and would not be satisfied till those companies would not sell such
books in Arizona.

Clearly with my cultural background I am not in any way supportive of any
Nazi material but I also value my constitutional rights especially my
rights to read and think what I choose that is not illegal in the USA under
our laws. What right does any other nation , no matter how well intentioned
their actions, have to deny me access to lawful books?

Dave