Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Napster/Gnutella/FreeNet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:04:20 -0400

From: "John Lyon" <jelyon () jelyon com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

"Music industry can't outwit online outlaws" from the Boston Globe, complete
article online at:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/152/nation/Music_industry_can_t_outwit_onl
ine_outlaws+.shtml

David Weekly wasn't amused earlier this month when Napster, the digital
music-sharing service, ousted more than 300,000 users for illegally trading
songs by the band Metallica. The Arlington native and Stanford University
senior devised a technical solution to get around the ban and posted the
instructions on his Web site. He estimates that 95 percent of the outlawed
users were back on Napster within days.

Weekly's quick fix is just one way savvy computer users are circumventing
attempts by the entertainment industry to stop online piracy. So far, most
of the attention has been focused on Napster, which is wildly popular on
college campuses. But if the music industry prevails in its lawsuits against
the San Mateo-based start-up, users could migrate to other commercial online
trading services, like iMesh and Scour; they could also turn to underground
programs that don't rely on a central server and are less vulnerable to
litigation.

My favorite quote from the article:

''That is not freedom of speech; that is thievery,'' says Jack Valenti,
executive director of the Motion Picture Association of America. ''Wherever
one snake head arises, we will cut it off,'' he adds. ''And if another one
grows in its place, we'll cut that one off, too.''

My comment on that: Isn't there a mythological creature with hair of snakes,
whereupon should you cut one snake off, two grow in it's place? I think
that's a better analogy.