Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Iridium to cease March 17?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:56:21 -0500

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:47:36 -0800
To: LUIS77 () aol com
From: Dan Kasal <kasal () 4cellular com>

You are not going to believe this.  A friend of mine who is a big Motorola
VIP customer said that yesterday he received a letter via fedex that said
something along the lines of:

We value your business and regret to inform you of an unfortunate
development about the iridium service.  Unless additional financing is
obtained before March 16th 2000 we can no longer guarantee that Iridium
service will be offered after 11:59pm of this date.  (This letter was
released after Craig McGraw, who many believed was the only likely
investor, said he had no intentions of investing).

My friend just bought the new 9505 Iridium phone 3 weeks before the
letter.  The letter did not mention anything about a refund for this phone
and phones that were purchased in the past.  Can you believe it?  He
called his VIP rep and got a recording.  His VIP rep called back and said
he (the VIP rep) is out of a job effective next Friday and that Motorola
is doing away with their entire VIP program.  WOW.

To verify this I called Seven Seas Communications at 800 566 9600, one of
the relseller's of Iridium service.  It is all true. After McGraw pulled
out the bankruptcy judge gave Iridium until March 15 to come up with
another financing option before he rules on the 17th.  If additional
financing is not obtained, service may cease temporarily or permanently
after this date.  Customers who did not specifically have a written
agreement with Motorola regarding the potential buy back of the Customer's
phone will be stuck with the phone.  Isn't that nice.